Max voltage

Help Support CattleToday:

Deer can't tear up 12ga, and I've never had them tear up 14ga yet either. I'm to old to do stuff twice. Been there and done it already.

highgrit":18iic73c said:
Deer can't tear up 12ga, and I've never had them tear up 14ga yet either. I'm to old to do stuff twice. Been there and done it already.

Oh I agree about doing over and over. The 14 gauge is what I use to use there and they always hit it it never snapped but they snapped the wire holders off the t posts an drug the wire all over then I had to go back and fix all of that. I changed to 17 when they hit it hard snaps it in a spot rarely tears up the wire holders and doesn't get drug all over. That's my reasoning behind using 17 . They only hit the fence hard when hounds are running them which is why in deer season I move them home to my hog wire fences or barbed wire fences. Its easy to splice the snapped portions. I got a big pile of 14 where one must have got it caught on his horns or something and took it a long ways and tangled it so I just use the wire to hang corner insulators.

Not sure on our cows, but I know 8000v leaves a mark on my skin through blue jeans. Don't ask me how I know. :bang: :bang: :bang:

Another thing to remember on ground rod is depth. I fought and fought our electric fence. Then I had someone come give me a hand and first thing he said was ground rod. My grandfather had the ground tied to the metal water pipe coming into the hay shed. It worked, but any little short would take the fence down. Even though the water line was 100ft or so long, it was only buried maybe 12" in the ground, so it dried up quickly. We installed an 8ft rod and haven't looked back since, even when I did get shocked a few months back.

still at 3600v but guess what fence has been up a week and already deer tore top strand down... :mad:
Easy fix for the top strand it snapped instead of getting drug all around the place and breaking the wire insulators too.
ResizedImage_1432256011744_zps65c7533d.jpg

ResizedImage_1432256012248_zps860a4da9.jpg

kenny thomas":39rn3bj6 said:
Are your deer blind? Looks like you are gonna have to practice your hunting skills.

:lol2: :lol2: Yea, I im not going to be dealing with this everyday. I may put coyote urine out to keep them away or the night guardian light thing that flashes.

Or just use a spotlight every night. They will get smart or get gone pretty quick. Or maybe with the tiny deer you guys have all you need to do is put the wire about waist high and they will go under it. :bs:

kenny thomas":3byfjxgp said:
Or just use a spotlight every night. They will get smart or get gone pretty quick. Or maybe with the tiny deer you guys have all you need to do is put the wire about waist high and they will go under it. :bs:

Yea the spotlight will happen for sure if this crap continues... Hey now we have big deer here they are just trim no fat on them ;-)

skyhightree1":1mk8itcp said:
kenny thomas":1mk8itcp said:

Yea the spotlight will happen for sure if this crap continues... Hey now we have big deer here they are just trim no fat on them ;-)
Them darn hounds run all the fat off them. I was working some just north of you in the 1980's and the deer were small enough you could throw one over your shoulder and walk out of the woods with it. If it was a doe you could carry one over each shoulder. hahaha

kenny thomas":1lpeyj08 said:
skyhightree1":1lpeyj08 said:
kenny thomas":1lpeyj08 said:

Them darn hounds run all the fat off them. I was working some just north of you in the 1980's and the deer were small enough you could throw one over your shoulder and walk out of the woods with it. If it was a doe you could carry one over each shoulder. hahaha

:lol2: I hunt in sandbridge portion of Va bch and they are tiny like that too and if you aren't careful you will shoot one of those wild ponys there

The folks that shoot trucks up there, will shoot anything that moves. I would never hunt with dogs during either sex days. You guys have to many Yankees up there. But I've heard lots of Yankees say "the deer are the size of German Shepherds".

Evidently, some folks in a certain un-named place think their deer are the size of pickup trucks.... :hide: :lol: :lol: