Maui Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Ned Jr.

Reaction score
My wife and I got to go to Maui a couple years ago and of course I had to find the cattle. I found these on the far north east end. It was some tough country in an area natives don't like the tourist much. There were a lot of different breeds and some areas on the island are very wet, some are very dry.

Maui.jpg

This may not be the right place for this post but I thought some may enjoy the pictures. If you go on the road to Hana, that's famous for it's 56 one lane bridges and keep going you'll end up here, on the south west side. The insurance doesn't cover rentals if you go past Hana but it's worth it. It's where the ranches are and no people. This picture shows some cows under the tree.

maui_south.jpg

Ned, how'd you like to drive a truck & trailer with a few cows (even a very small trailer) from those ranches going down the Hana road? :D (I assume the ranchers have a different route to take their cattle down to market, right?)

Probably one of the worst experiences of my life was riding in a small van going up the Hana road to see the 7 pools. Got carsick early on and the 600+ switchback turns and 56 bridges just about killed me! About half way there I just wanted them to let me out on the side of the road and then pick me up hours later on the return trip.

Arnold Ziffle":j2kzkh2a said:
Ned, how'd you like to drive a truck & trailer with a few cows (even a very small trailer) from those ranches going down the Hana road? :D (I assume the ranchers have a different route to take their cattle down to market, right?)

Probably one of the worst experiences of my life was riding in a small van going up the Hana road to see the 7 pools. Got carsick early on and the 600+ switchback turns and 56 bridges just about killed me! About half way there I just wanted them to let me out on the side of the road and then pick me up hours later on the return trip.

The road to Hana didn't bother me much, kinda reminded me of home. :D It probably helped that I drove. I need to have a drink if my wife drives. If I drink, she drives and if she drives I need to drink alot :D

I took a 24 ft. trailer thru Yellowstone a couple years ago, that was fun. The worst part was getting the trailer clean enough they'd let me in. I power washed it before I left home but I had some hay for the bull I hauled in it. They told me to go to the dump. That wasn't good enough so I had to go to the car wash, it was made for little cars. Then the park was out of rooms so we went thru most of it in the dark. That was the same trip I lost a weel bearing north of Sheridan WY at 5:30pm on a Sunday. But thats another story.

Sheridan, WY, I have been there before. That is where Ned, Jan, and Bell Ward all live. Beautiful place and great cattle country. Veryt interesting about the cattle on Maui and how different it is here and there. Also, I liked that green grass, I could use some about right now. Anyway, neat pictures and great stories. I loved reading them. Take care. :cboy:

Ned Jr.":2usdlmex said:
My wife and I got to go to Maui a couple years ago and of course I had to find the cattle. I found these on the far north east end. It was some tough country in an area natives don't like the tourist much. There were a lot of different breeds and some areas on the island are very wet, some are very dry.

Maui.jpg

I saw a hunting show some years back, it used to be teh Citgo sponsored hunting show that came on ESPN. On one episode they went to Hawaii to hunt those wild cattle, if those are the same ones you posted pictures of. They hunt the bulls the way I remember it. The bull he shot was big crossbred looking bull. What breeds are there?

Hill Creek Farm":3c0rlx72 said:
Sheridan, WY, I have been there before. That is where Ned, Jan, and Bell Ward all live. Beautiful place and great cattle country. Veryt interesting about the cattle on Maui and how different it is here and there. Also, I liked that green grass, I could use some about right now. Anyway, neat pictures and great stories. I loved reading them. Take care. :cboy:

Wards sure put some nice looking cattle in their AD's. I'll have to take a tour of their place if I ever break down in Sheridan again. One problem I had was the only taxi in town was driven by the man I had fixing the trailer. Sheridan has a real good steak house. I think it's called The Chop House.

I saw a hunting show some years back, it used to be teh Citgo sponsored hunting show that came on ESPN. On one episode they went to Hawaii to hunt those wild cattle, if those are the same ones you posted pictures of. They hunt the bulls the way I remember it. The bull he shot was big crossbred looking bull. What breeds are there?

The cattle up in north east Maui did look like they may need rounded up with a 30/06 :D. I saw a nice looking herd of herefords, angus and a few I'm not sure what they were.

Latest posts