Massey Ferg 10 Baler String Breaking

Help Support CattleToday:

kenojoe

Reaction score
I have a Massey Ferg 10 Baler and the left string keeps breaking. I just sharpened the knives but they look like they are all back in the right position. I am using the end of last years string but seems like if it were rotted that both right and left string would break. Any thoughts on what's causing the string to break or what would cause just one side to break? thanks

kenojoe":2197e7bs said:
I have a Massey Ferg 10 Baler and the left string keeps breaking. I just sharpened the knives but they look like they are all back in the right position. I am using the end of last years string but seems like if it were rotted that both right and left string would break. Any thoughts on what's causing the string to break or what would cause just one side to break? thanks

I know you have probably thougt of this, but did you loosen off the tension a bit? Different season, different hay and old twine.

Bez!

um yeah i had the same problem with my IH 430 i shapend the blades and cleaned everybit of the hay out and watch were the string feeds throung or u could have it out of time some of them older balers like that dont take much to get out of time. I would clean every thing with gas and a tooth brush i did that to mine and it was out of time and a guy wanted it so i traded him mine for his newholland 271 its a middle age baler not as old but not as new and if i was u in stead of put money or time in it i would go to a new holland but massey ferg is good stuff when its running but every one can and nos somthing about a new holland baler... Jason

I found that one of the "notched wheels" that guides the string into position was out of adjustment. Sorry I don't know the proper name and my book is not here. But it was putting the string in a heck of a bind. Made the adjustment to what "looked" right and it worked pretty good. Also tightened up the bale a little. Still having trouble with one side getting a litle longer than the other even though the springs are adjusted dead nuts even.

Latest posts