Kubbota M9000 Tachometer cable keeps breaking

Help Support CattleToday:

ben10

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a Kubota M9000 that I use to cut and bale hay with. I bought it from a guy about six months ago. The tachometer cable broke on me, I replaced it with a new one and it broke again. I have probably replaced it 4 or 5 times now and routed it different ways each time to see if that was the problem and it still keeps breaking. It always breaks up top a couple inches down from where it attaches to the tachometer. I have even attached the cable to a drill and ran it for several minutes to make sure the tach wasn't getting in a bind and causing the cable to break. Has anyone else had this problem before? Do y'all have any solutions?

I have never had that problem on mine yet and it has around 2500 hours on it. If it is breaking up next to the tach it sounds like the tach maybe a little stiff. (maybe remove and put a little lube in it is what I would try) I did have to replace the low side AC hose recently an put a new drier on. (almost $600 for those two parts) It was leaking were the rubber hose meets the metal pipe. I vacuumed it out for a couple hours (no more leaks showed) an replaced the freon and my manifold gauges read for the ambient temperature almost exactly what they should when I finished.

Last edited:
The only thing I ever replaced on a M5700 was that cable. Happened one time and never broke again. It was difficult to change on mine but I am no mechanic.

I have never had that problem on mine yet and it has around 2500 hours on it. If it is breaking up next to the tach it sounds like the tach maybe a little stiff. (maybe remove and put a little lube in it is what I would try) I did have to replace the low side AC hose recently an put a new drier on. (almost $600 for those two parts) It was leaking were the rubber hose meets the metal pipe. I vacuumed it out for a couple hours (no more leaks showed) a replaced the freon and my manifold gauges read for the ambient temperature almost exactly what they should when I finished.
Sorry for the late response I have been out cutting hay. My tractor only had 1200 hours when it started breaking. Do you mind taking some pictures of how your tachometer is routed? I have talked to several Kubota dealerships and looked through the book and no one could give me a good answer. I thought the same thing about the tach being stiff and I lubed it and it still broke. I'm puzzled on what is causing it to break. It has to be something since it breaks pretty much in the same spot every time. I will attach some pictures below how I have it currently routed even though the pictures aren't the greatest since it is hard to get in there to take them. I appreciate your help. IMG_9237.jpegIMG_9238.jpegIMG_9239.jpeg

The only thing I ever replaced on a M5700 was that cable. Happened one time and never broke again. It was difficult to change on mine but I am no mechanic.
That is strange. Maybe it just broke over time. Yes I agree they are difficult to change. Especially to get it lined up on the bottom end of the cable if yours is the same as mine. Although I have gotten better at changing them since I have had quite a bit of practice lol

That bend in it in the last photo where you have that big zip tie and it goes over the edge of that bar would be a bit of a concern to me.

Ken

I put that zip tie there to keep it off the exhaust. It broke multiple times without the zip tie. When I put a new one on there again I won't put a zip tie

The cable can't be bent over anything sharply. It needs to be basically free floating the whole way. You should be able to spin the inner cable with your fingers easily.

Also lube the inner cable.

I tried to get you some pictures. Some of these are good and others not. If you need a certain area let me know and maybe I can get a pic of it. The cable looks to come up from the front and then center the tractor to the dash. I believe a little different route than yours is. Picture #8 shows just about the whole cable and route.

1700152569166.jpeg
1700152583867.jpeg
1700152600720.jpeg
1700152619027.jpeg
1700152634593.jpeg
1700152655216.jpeg

1700152675669.jpeg

This is a good pic as it shows just about the whole route to the back of the dash.

1700152692056.jpeg

1700152704296.jpeg

Tiger is getting so big he is about to break my chair down.

1700152715504.jpeg
1700152738192.jpeg

Last edited:
I tried to get you some pictures. Some of these are good and others not. If you need a certain area let me know and maybe I can get a pic of it. The cable looks to come up from the front and then center the tractor to the dash. I believe a little different route than yours is. Picture #8 shows just about the whole cable and route.

View attachment 37080
View attachment 37081
View attachment 37082
View attachment 37083
View attachment 37084
View attachment 37085

View attachment 37086

This is a good pic as it shows just about the whole route to the back of the dash.

View attachment 37087

View attachment 37088

Tiger is getting so big he is about to break my chair down.

View attachment 37089
View attachment 37090
I appreciate it, I will get a new cable and route it the way it is on yours and hopefully it doesn't break. Thank you

Latest posts