Market Reports/Cow prices

Help Support CattleToday:

I didn't know about the hay situation. I thought we were the only dryest part of the state. Heck even if the cows raise dink calves @ 1000 bucks you could still get your money back and make some I think off those cows. The winchester auction will start today at 1 I wonder what it will bring I will watch it. Kenny with those prices it may be worth a 7 hour trip

Toad":qe7qnw9a said:
Sky, how about the two of us making a trip to Winchester one Monday? Just come over and pick me up on your way.

:lol2: In other words you want my 2 hr ride to be a 12 hour ride to pick you up drive there then take you home then drive back ? What a great idea :lol2: If you want to go we can meet up and go I think you better bring your trailer or you can leave them at my place ;-)

skyhightree1":3gr39pnx said:
kenny thomas":3gr39pnx said:
Sky I have no idea what your cattle are worth but I will use them as an example. Lets say they are worth $3300 each. What is happening is that word gets around that cows are bringing $3300 so some people think they all are. Many cows that are really worth kill price of 1500 may bring 2000 now and the people think they have done good and saved a lot of money because they did not give 3300.

True. Well when I go back to my usual barn if calves are super high I guess I will be out of trader business and just keep my heard and sell those calves. When the profit margins killed its just not fun anymore. BTW if I had to buy my cattle again they wouldn't be worth 3300 to me if I had to pay for them :lol2:

True Skyman but what about them horses, they must be worth something???

melking":p1bijpzz said:
skyhightree1":p1bijpzz said:
kenny thomas":p1bijpzz said:
Sky I have no idea what your cattle are worth but I will use them as an example. Lets say they are worth $3300 each. What is happening is that word gets around that cows are bringing $3300 so some people think they all are. Many cows that are really worth kill price of 1500 may bring 2000 now and the people think they have done good and saved a lot of money because they did not give 3300.

True. Well when I go back to my usual barn if calves are super high I guess I will be out of trader business and just keep my heard and sell those calves. When the profit margins killed its just not fun anymore. BTW if I had to buy my cattle again they wouldn't be worth 3300 to me if I had to pay for them :lol2:

True Skyman but what about them horses, they must be worth something???

They are worth about 100 cans of alpo :lol2: ;-)

Bigfoot":216d3p3y said:
It makes you think seriously about selling out, and letting your grass grow. Maybe put some rolled hay in the barn, and wait. When 100 cows could bring a 1/3 of a million dollars, you can buy plenty of heifers with that when the good times end.

I would talk myself out of doing this. I would hate to miss out on one, or possibly even two rounds of these $1,200 calves we've all been selling. It is tempting though.

Bigfoot":10vlgolv said:
Bigfoot":10vlgolv said:
It makes you think seriously about selling out, and letting your grass grow. Maybe put some rolled hay in the barn, and wait. When 100 cows could bring a 1/3 of a million dollars, you can buy plenty of heifers with that when the good times end.

I would talk myself out of doing this. I would hate to miss out on one, or possibly even two rounds of these $1,200 calves we've all been selling. It is tempting though.

Are you talking to yourself again BF?

Bigfoot":29a9g22c said:
Bigfoot":29a9g22c said:

I agree, I truly believe that's the smartest thing to do. Jumping in and out of any investment is genrally not successful.

We haven't had a bred cow top $2000 here. Maybe I should put together a load and send them there. it is a long haul but freight doesn't cost that much. Had a about 10 head of papered mid-aged Brahman cows at the sale last week. All 6 & 7 months bred. They all went to the kill buyers. I was thinking I wish I could put them down south.

cowgirl8 said:
With the cull cows we sold last fall, i hope that whomever bought them made sure they were fed well. With this winter we've had so far, i'm sure glad they arent in my pasture. We sold quite a few bred older girls who looked really good. It was hard not to keep them, but i knew if we had a bad winter i'd be wishing i had that green in my hand instead of watching them struggle"

What do you mean by "watching them struggle?"

Dave":39cseodv said:
We haven't had a bred cow top $2000 here. Maybe I should put together a load and send them there. it is a long haul but freight doesn't cost that much. Had a about 10 head of papered mid-aged Brahman cows at the sale last week. All 6 & 7 months bred. They all went to the kill buyers. I was thinking I wish I could put them down south.
What would a kill buyer do with a 7month bred cow in today's market?

Kingfisher":t6wv4ith said:
Dave":t6wv4ith said:

Put them thru the kill chute just like the rest of the cows they buy.

mwj":1i5aq8vs said:
Kingfisher":1i5aq8vs said:
Dave":1i5aq8vs said:

Put them thru the kill chute just like the rest of the cows they buy.

They kill bred cows all the time. They just buy them for kill price. If nobody else is interested in them the kill buyers get them. Up here in the cold wet PNW there is a huge discount on eared cattle. They went from $850 to $1,100. I am sure they would have brought a bunch more down south but it is a long ways away.

We had 3 head cows at the sale today,
1st one weighed 725, was 2 year old, and 4 months bred brought $1700.
2nd was a cow with a 3 week old calf, together they weighed 835. They brought 2450.
3rd was a another cow and 3 week old calf together they nweighed 850 and brought 2850.
I of course didnt get any of them.

kenny thomas":4t29cdju said:
We had 3 head cows at the sale today,
1st one weighed 725, was 2 year old, and 4 months bred brought $1700.
2nd was a cow with a 3 week old calf, together they weighed 835. They brought 2450.
3rd was a another cow and 3 week old calf together they nweighed 850 and brought 2850.
I of course didnt get any of them.

Those where some small cows with a big price!

Kenny, sounds like return-to-farm cows are a lot higher in western Va than they are up this way.
And yes SKY....I did watch some of the sale today but I didn't get to see the bred cows or pairs...they seemed higher from your above posts?

jasonleonard said:
Kenny, sounds like return-to-farm cows are a lot higher in western Va than they are up this way.
And yes SKY....I did watch some of the sale today but I didn't get to see the bred cows or pairs...they seemed higher from your above posts?

they do calves then breds. maybe they will archive the sale for later viewing. The prices this week were higher than last week.

Latest posts