Market Price Around the Holidays?

Help Support CattleToday:

robertwhite

Reaction score
I will be getting rid of my bull and couldn't get him to this weeks sale. I am not sure if there is a sale next week and/or the following week due to the holidays. If there is one, do prices jump due to lack of stock on hand and the off week (before or after)? That said, am I better off waiting to just after the New Year, or do I wait until say mid Feb. when prices typically are at the winters high point. I am trying to figure on a value vs. cost of feeding through then basis. As we know, a bull will stand and eat hay pretty much all day. Add some grain in and I wonder if the higher price in Feb. is worth it.

I do not sell around a holiday because buyers do no show up feed lots do not want them or packers. If I had not sold would wait until the second week In Febuary. The high is usually then and the 2nd week in June for hamburger cattle.

robertwhite":1fu5ue0y said:
I will be getting rid of my bull and couldn't get him to this weeks sale. I am not sure if there is a sale next week and/or the following week due to the holidays. If there is one, do prices jump due to lack of stock on hand and the off week (before or after)? That said, am I better off waiting to just after the New Year, or do I wait until say mid Feb. when prices typically are at the winters high point. I am trying to figure on a value vs. cost of feeding through then basis. As we know, a bull will stand and eat hay pretty much all day. Add some grain in and I wonder if the higher price in Feb. is worth it.

No sale next week. They were up yesterday in Savannah. Sorry you missed it.

Thanks Cabo. I guess I will be waiting until mid-Feb at this point. Just hate feeding his big, dumb azz for all that time. On the other hand, maybe he will put on some more weight by then and offset the feed cost. He was 1520 the other day with pretty much no fat. Just a rock solid pain in the azz. :lol:

I was in the same quandry but went ahead and dumped a good bull this week. Tuesday. He brought $0.845 a pound and weighed a little over 1900. I was tickled.

Prices should go higher come spring indeed. And then again Oprah could throw a scare in people who watch her agendas again.

backhoeboogie":38n2rn09 said:
I was in the same quandry but went ahead and dumped a good bull this week. Tuesday. He brought $0.845 a pound and weighed a little over 1900. I was tickled.

Prices should go higher come spring indeed. And then again Oprah could throw a scare in people who watch her agendas again.

When Oprah ruined the prices a few years ago I and many others lost a lot of money. To this day if they are even advertising something and she is involved I change the channel.

kenny thomas":2ho718pk said:
backhoeboogie":2ho718pk said:

When Oprah ruined the prices a few years ago I and many others lost a lot of money. To this day if they are even advertising something and she is involved I change the channel.

I heard that. :lol2:

I had some calves that needed to go, got busy with family issues and did not get to take them off until yesterday. Was a little worried but felt they did good.

625 avg heifer for $122.00
558 avg hefiers for $125.00
555 avg steers for $155.00
465 avg steers for $162.75

All were black.

tom4018":av577slo said:
I had some calves that needed to go, got busy with family issues and did not get to take them off until yesterday. Was a little worried but felt they did good.

625 avg heifer for $122.00
558 avg hefiers for $125.00
555 avg steers for $155.00
465 avg steers for $162.75

All were black.

good numbers. you did well.

fitz

BC":7ta0aslm said:
kenny thomas":7ta0aslm said:
backhoeboogie":7ta0aslm said:

I heard that. :lol2:
What did Oprah do?

i dont think the market prices for cattle will bottom out.as every1 knows the cattle #s are dropping daily.plus the feedlots know there wont be an oversupply of feeder calves in the spring an fall.most of the sales close to me are taking off 2 or 3wks before the next sale.i only know of 1 local sale barn thats not going to miss a sale this year.

Who is going to be open? I have withdrawal symptoms every year about this time.

Market was higher today at Van Zandt Livestock than earlier in week as most order buyers were trying to finish orders as this was last sale un til after the first of the year.

unless i missread the country world winnsboro livestock will have a sale friday.i know SS livestock wont have a sale for 2wks after today.