market ne texas

Help Support CattleToday:

ccr

ranch hand
Reaction score
from what i can tell i lost about $500 not selling 7 yearlings last week, that is compared to selling this week. they are 8- 9 weights. click on the market reports below and zoom to read.

so like everyone else i'm wondering do i sell now, or maybe they will go up in a week or two or next month. prices sure seems low now.

i have grass to carry them for a month or so, but will need to supplement with feed at about .50 cents per day per head if i'm figuring right.

Hard to make things pencil out in this market, especially if you're having to buy feed to over-winter them. I've heard of guys holding out, waiting for the market to correct, but the way prices have been going doesn't look like an uptick will happen anytime soon. The closer we get to winter a lot of guys are going to sell out knowing that the market is way down and they don't want to buy hay. I think the market is going to get flooded soon and if I were looking to have to buy feed this year, I'd sell sooner rather than later.

TexFarmer said:
Hard to make things pencil out in this market, especially if you're having to buy feed to over-winter them. I've heard of guys holding out, waiting for the market to correct, but the way prices have been going doesn't look like an uptick will happen anytime soon. The closer we get to winter a lot of guys are going to sell out knowing that the market is way down and they don't want to buy hay. I think the market is going to get flooded soon and if I were looking to have to buy feed this year, I'd sell sooner rather than later.

It's getting to the point if we don't stand together won't be many left standing. I don't know the answer here.

One thing for sure we know, a fire shook an unsettled market. Second thing we know is seasonal weakness is upon us.

If everyone holds hoping for better prices in the future, it is just kicking the can down the road. The one's that can hold the longest might make a little or not. Depends on individual circumstances and how well input costs are managed.

:2cents:

Personally, I don't think enough people have lost enough money to help the markets in the near future.

My experience in East Texas has been if you don't dump them in September hold them till January.
Unless some cosmic event changes the space time continuum you'll get your feelings hurt here.

This is what we're struggling with here. Deciding if we should dump the calves or keep them till the grass starts growing. All are growing still but feed is short and hay is going fast. We normally sell in November. We did have to wean some early due to old cows on short feed not maintaining well. So some could use the extra time to put on weight.
Almost took the larger feeders last week for the special feeder sale but turned them back out last minute. Didn't feel like a good idea. Market dropped quite a bit more that day. Did we make a mistake and the market won't recover any time soon? Guess time will tell. No matter what this year we're definitely taking a huge loss at this point.

Latest posts