Managing Johnson Grass

Help Support CattleToday:

seems to me there was a discusion on it some time ago ,some are scared of it some love it as i recall ,did ya dig back with a search of past post

I do. I stay off it, from the first frost to the first freeze. After that, it gets zero management from me. I'm not encouraging you to go that route though.

They like it better if its not too mature....like anything else. If it gets tall and seeded out, its best to just bushhog it down and let it regrow up to about knee high to waist high.
I have some now that is in a section that hasn't been grazed all year and I am clipping it back down to 8 or 10 inches so it will regrow......there's a lot of Jgrass in it.

Yeah, don't let the stem get hard. All they'll do is strip the leaves off at that point.

kickinbull":3q6tpnr5 said:
Does anyone manage Johnson for pasture? If so, what is the program like?

It will go away under continuous grazing, but flourish under most any type of rotational grazing. I'm just trying to figure out how to make it thicker instead of spotty. Any ideas anybody? Maybe tearing the ground up with a disk?

Banjo":2l6by2pz said:
kickinbull":2l6by2pz said:

It will go away under continuous grazing, but flourish under most any type of rotational grazing. I'm just trying to figure out how to make it thicker instead of spotty. Any ideas anybody? Maybe tearing the ground up with a disk?

Tearing it up with a disk should help it. I've heard for years that the best way to make it grow is to act like you're trying to kill it, and it's been my experience that that's true. And cattle love it, so it will recede with continuous grazing. And don't turn cattle in on it if it's stressed.

It's a little manual labor, but you can cut the seed heads off. Dry em, and scatter the seeds. Don't tell anybody what your doin, they'll hate you for it. Save the seed, and plant them in mid May

The majority of ours in on/around the dam of our watershed lake, which is actually managed/maintained by the Watershed Board. They burn it every few years & let us know when it's okay to let the cattle graze it (which they love). Unfortunately it has also managed to creep into the brome fields so we're looking into a weed wiper for the Polaris to kill it.

Banjo":ywlltg7z said:
kickinbull":ywlltg7z said:

I thought Johnson Grass did it's best to manage us!

Good forage and good hay.
Mine was so over grown last year I had to mow it in July after letting them graze what they would for a few days. I rotational graze and they didn't keep up.
Yes Graze it way down, mow it or take cattle off it before the first frost till it's been dead for about a week. I grazed mine down last year.
I agree that grazing between knee and waist high is best or it goes to seed and gets tough.

This year it's very thin and spotty because of lack of rain.
I was counting on a thick stand but got thrown a curve ball by mother nature.
Banjo I'm like you and want to thicken mine again.
Let me know if you figure it out.
Guess I'll still drill fescue and clover and see what's going to thrive in that area.

When is the best time to disk Jgrass? spring, summer, fall??? before 1st cutting, after 1st cutting?
Several years ago Alabama Farmers Cooperative stocked Jgrass seed, don't know if they still do,

My son and I both did a google search looking for seed but all we found were articles on getting rid of it.
I read that the seed can stay in the ground for up to 20 years before sprouting when conditions are right for it.

There are other past posts on JG here. I've read them along with all back pages.

I'm certainly no expert but figured I'd study it because I have it and kinda liked it for grazing.

10-e-c-dirtfarmer":2jzilli9 said:
When is the best time to disk Jgrass? spring, summer, fall??? before 1st cutting, after 1st cutting?
Several years ago Alabama Farmers Cooperative stocked Jgrass seed, don't know if they still do,

My guess is in the spring before it gets too hot and dry. Around corn planting time.

Banjo":fs6vsqaq said:
10-e-c-dirtfarmer":fs6vsqaq said:

My guess is in the spring before it gets too hot and dry. Around corn planting time.

My Jgrass is in fescue hay fields, I cut the fescue around the last of May, then the 1st Jgrass about 60 days later, last cutting late September, early October, before 1st frost, If I disk around corn planting time, Is that wrong time for the fescue ???? :???:

:???: I Think Therefore I MessUp! :???:

10-e-c-dirtfarmer":15cxlo4a said:
Banjo":15cxlo4a said:
10-e-c-dirtfarmer":15cxlo4a said:

My Jgrass is in fescue hay fields, I cut the fescue around the last of May, then the 1st Jgrass about 60 days later, last cutting late September, early October, before 1st frost, If I disk around corn planting time, Is that wrong time for the fescue ???? :???:

:???: I Think Therefore I MessUp! :???:

You might have a point. I was looking at it from a grazing perspective. Maybe disking after the first cutting would be better. I'm no expert, you may have to just try different times and see.
Disking after the first cut would help your crabgrass too.

Here's around 30 acres full of it. It'll prob be the best hay I make all year.

Latest posts