Management of young Bermuda.

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
So we finally have gotten Bermuda to stick.
We sprigged coastal in late February. And immediately got a dry spell.. :roll:
It hurt for sure but the following months of rain has surprised me. It varies from almost complete coverage to 30 percent depending on where your at in the field. Still very short but big strong runners out several feet. I overseeded with pure giant Bermuda in April and have a good stand of it as well. Some places very thick and a foot or better. It grows almost straight up from the get go. Then as it lays over starts pegging down and running.

1. Weeds milkweed, broomweed, devilsclaw all easy enough to kill. But would 24d be ok on the young grass. I'm sure the sprigged grass would be fine. But would there be danger of 24d on the two months old seeded grass.
2. Kr bluestem , barnyard grass , and foxtail. These are good grasses , but I want this field to be pure Bermuda as possible. The kr I think will be overcome by fertilizer and mowing, I'm not so sure there's anything I can do to the foxtail and barnyard until next year???
3. At what point should I consider maybe pulling a sharp straight disc over it to cut runners to thicken stand.

I like the idea of pulling a straight disc through the stand, I used my pasture renovator without the shanks. Using 24d set my Russell back and I wouldn't recommend spraying. Cutting, raking and baling helped my field tremendously. Just lighten the tension up as much as possible on your rake. Seems like the bermuda is even over taking the crabgrass.

Not sure either on the seeded plants but when I sprigged mine I used a reduced rate on the herbicide. It knocked the weeds back enough to allow the bermuda to out grow them. Milkweed may have to be spot sprayed. As far as the discing, I think I would put that off until next winter. Let the runners go to fill in the thin spots.

The KR is one of my big problems in my hay meadow as well as my other pastures. I hate the stuff.

I sprigged some in March and hasn't quit raining.
I have every grass and weed you can think of.
Idk what to do but the guy that put it in texted me this.
6-8oz of MCPA.
.15oz of ally per acre. Make sure MCPA not MSMA

Latest posts