Making a Livin'

Help Support CattleToday:

A buck deer has at least twice the value of a cow. Some deer hunters are a pain in the neck but most have plenty of money to spend on hunting. Personally I can't see having any more cows than you can care for yourself and for us it's around a 100 pairs. Around here there's more money in pine straw and deer hunting than cattle. But my wife tells me regularly, you'll get fat, lazy and have nothing to do if you sell all the cattle. Sometimes I'd sure like to try it and see.

2 little kids at home, wife has her own business but house/acreage payment health Insurance I think I'd need 1000 cows to make a living. We dont live high on the house. Vehicles are 2012 and older. Dont go out to eat ect and I drink cheap beer and whiskey. Only money besides house I owe is shed I just built and my 16' aluminum trailer. I'll calve just about 30 next spring. Steer check this fall will pay pasture rents, feed bill for retained heifers and that's it. Nothing left to live on but next years expenses are paid and we retained 9 heifers. Balance sheet looks good but checkbook sucks!

I've always thought and said out loud if I had 200 momma cows I would quit my day job. My lifestyle and spending habits would change without the day job but I always thought my life would be better and much much happier.

I'm walking away from my day job when I hit 100 pairs. But then again, my land is all paid for (Unless I buy more) and I've spent over 30 years building my retirement check in my day job. At 100 head to supplement that check I hope to keep my standard of living the same as it is now......That's not saying a lot :)

I bought a farm (173 acres) from a guy who made his living of 65 pairs. Had a small house that was paid for and drove a junk car. I combined that with the farm I already had and only run 50 pairs.

I could make a living on 100 pairs - my wife however needs more like 700 (lol)

shaz":29vwdv63 said:
I bought a farm (173 acres) from a guy who made his living of 65 pairs. Had a small house that was paid for and drove a junk car. I combined that with the farm I already had and only run 50 pairs.

I could make a living on 100 pairs - my wife however needs more like 700 (lol)

So your final answer is 700 unless you want to be solo :lol:

Well I'm fixing to get 40 heavy bred momma's, add that to my already 35, I'll have 75. Right now I teach school, I'm ready to get out. I mow yards, sell hay, have a green house. I do not want to hire anybody to help. No land payment, tractor and hay equipment paid off. Hoping 75 will pay the bills.

True Grit Farms":3kgg19mp said:
jehosofat":3kgg19mp said:
I'm hoping to give it a whirl in a couple more years when I am built up into the 250 range, but I have zero debt. We'll see.
Hopefully you'll have time to go fishing.

Oh yea, come on, I'll take ya.

rowdyred":1ucxnnym said:
Well I'm fixing to get 40 heavy bred momma's, add that to my already 35, I'll have 75. Right now I teach school, I'm ready to get out. I mow yards, sell hay, have a green house. I do not want to hire anybody to help. No land payment, tractor and hay equipment paid off. Hoping 75 will pay the bills.

I wish you luck and darn sure hope the market stays where its at or better for you. But I think your question wasn't asked properly as you never mentioned you mow yards sell hay and have a green house for income. Its a lot different when you have other sources of income than just 1 source and I think most answers given was based off of cattle were the only source.

skyhightree1":1qcu0mtc said:
rowdyred":1qcu0mtc said:

I wish you luck and darn sure hope the market stays where its at or better for you. But I think your question wasn't asked properly as you never mentioned you mow yards sell hay and have a green house for income. Its a lot different when you have other sources of income than just 1 source and I think most answers given was based off of cattle were the only source.
You can't depend on the market, that's why you always want to operate like its always in a lull...reserve in the up times, so you'll be prepared in the down..

okiek":10ru2luk said:
I'm walking away from my day job when I hit 100 pairs. But then again, my land is all paid for (Unless I buy more) and I've spent over 30 years building my retirement check in my day job. At 100 head to supplement that check I hope to keep my standard of living the same as it is now......That's not saying a lot :)

Good chance you will supplement your ranching business with your pension money.

rowdyred":2ktzw02h said:

You're a teacher? Now I understand why you want to raise cows full time. ;-)

rowdyred":1cz3ln9o said:

I wish you the best. And I don't want to be pessimistic or discourage you. But IF you manage to wean 75 calves and IF you clear $400/hd profit that's only $30k. That won't go far on it's own. Costs a lot to live even with no debt. But if you've got a retirement check and benefits along with a little side income it's doable.

One thing about putting back extra in the good times...... I put back whenever I can during the highs, but it seems the lows always know exactly what I've got and they get it all back. Being successful financially depends on good decisions. But one also needs a little luck along the way.

You can open a wh0rehouse but if all the customers get drafted to go fight a 5 year war you're liable to go broke even with that venture.

My wife tells me I would be money ahead if I sold ALL the cows. :yuck:

bball":julf18xp said:
My wife tells me I would be money ahead if I sold ALL the cows. :yuck:

Mine is my CPA and tells me the same thing. Bad thing is, from a financial standpoint, I know she's right. But from a non financial standpoint, they're invaluable. They are about the only thing I do anymore that "knocks my tractor out of gear" for a while.

Latest posts