Making a Livin'

Help Support CattleToday:

I thought we were talking about making a living not maintaining a life style we worked hard to build. I'd say 100-150 would maintain that.

i could make a living in e. ky on 30 mommas runnin them on free land

I believe it depends on the person. I believe you could give some people 1000 acres and 800 momma cows and they'd be penniless in ten years.

Jogeephus":1s4sszsw said:
I believe it depends on the person. I believe you could give some people 1000 acres and 800 momma cows and they'd be penniless in ten years.
I can show you some of those people..you can't bore with a big auger ..gotta fly low.spend the money on and in areas, that give a return on the investment......and the folks Jo's talking about are the type to buy from :cowboy:

Jogeephus":24z4jud9 said:
That, is a privileged attitude Joe!
When they run out of cows and $$, just give em some more. Always remember to think about your privileged guilt and that those people are your equals.
(ok, my snowflaky/touchy feely moment for this year is done and I can get on back to reality)

greybeard":16o59hia said:
Jogeephus":16o59hia said:
When they run out of cows and $$, just give em some more. Always remember to think about your privileged guilt and that those people are your equals.
(ok, my snowflaky/touchy feely moment for this year is done and I can get on back to reality)

if you do have that much land and cattle you should just give it to those that don't have it.. so they can sell it and blow it on things like cars, drugs, and other frivolous spending. equal and all. you keep working, they'll keep spending. equal. :lol2:

Lucky":22cuqg27 said:
I thought we were talking about making a living not maintaining a life style we worked hard to build. I'd say 100-150 would maintain that.

8.00hr is making a living. Being comfortable and having cushion for a rainy day isn't maintaining a lifestyle it's being smart. If you have a kid that goes to college making a living wouldn't even cover a community college.

skyhightree1":2wnohu4m said:
Lucky":2wnohu4m said:

8.00hr is making a living. Being comfortable and having cushion for a rainy day isn't maintaining a lifestyle it's being smart. If you have a kid that goes to college making a living wouldn't even cover a community college.
Better bump that up a little..8.00 hr..just above the soup line...

ddd75":20pfczd6 said:
greybeard":20pfczd6 said:
Jogeephus":20pfczd6 said:

if you do have that much land and cattle you should just give it to those that don't have it.. so they can sell it and blow it on things like cars, drugs, and other frivolous spending. equal and all. you keep working, they'll keep spending. equal. :lol2:
And They're good at spending and giving away what they don't own...

skyhightree1":25jlqujq said:
sstterry":25jlqujq said:
skyhightree1":25jlqujq said:
It's easy to get numbers thrown at you. I am a person that is coming down off a couple hundred head. My personal lifestyle I can't make a living off of them at today's prices. I don't have a extravagant lifestyle. If you want numbers for me personally I'd need 500 Mama's to make a living being serious.
Sky,
You could make a living selling hams! :D

Yes sir, That I could do. :D
Put me on your mailing list to order one!

skyhightree1":3ean24xw said:
Lucky":3ean24xw said:

I can agree with that. Everyone lives differently, what some consider allot is pennies to others. I didn't say 750 cows would make a man rich, I just think that's what it would take to live comfortably and be able to operate year after year for the long haul.

Brute 23":1krfrhtb said:
Its more of a question of how much land and/or equipment do you need to inherit or how much money do you need to make else where to ride out your days with cattle. I don't think its possible to start from scratch and live off cattle.

Even if its all paid for... you would be getting by more than living off the cattle IMO.

I do have 28 acres in Marshall I inherited. I just pay taxes in it. Nephews deer hunt it and it adjoins their family places.

I'm on the downside Brute. Property taxes. House and car insurance. (We have too many trucks and too many houses) We are both still working. Probably 8 more years gathering moss.

All the debts of my youth are behind me. I don't have to have the $50K. But we can live on it.

Real money is in hay. Sell a million rolls of hay at $50/roll and you'll have $50,000,000. If you can't live comfortably off $50,000,000 you've got both a drug and gambling problem. This farming and cattle business is easy if you'll just put a pencil to it. :hide:

sstterry":2p8x537l said:
$8.00 an hour x 100 hours per week is only $800, less taxes Medicare, Medicaid, property tax..ect. Tell me you can live on that if you can even work those hours.

:lol2:

Jogeephus":2h7axeqb said:
Real money is in hay. Sell a million rolls of hay at $50/roll and you'll have $50,000,000. If you can't live comfortably off $50,000,000 you've got both a drug and gambling problem. This farming and cattle business is easy if you'll just put a pencil to it. :hide:

Or a problem staying out of brothels

Latest posts