Major League on Heifers?

Help Support CattleToday:

Is there enough bone in the Make Mimi's? The ones I have seen seem like they are a little fine boned.

have a cold one

lazy ace

The trees are definately planted. :lol: We have to plant them while you clear them away. ;-) Maybe next year we will take one in front of an Okra plant ;-)

have a good one

lazy ace

In my opinion, you will get some finer boned cattle when you use all these negative birth bulls. Breeding calving ease to calving ease is just another single trait selection, and that is never good.

BRG":1ftq6z4x said:
In my opinion, you will get some finer boned cattle when you use all these negative birth bulls. Breeding calving ease to calving ease is just another single trait selection, and that is never good.

Would you agree that growth on growth is also not good? ;-)

have a cold one

lazy ace

I would rather have growth on growth instead of calving ease on calving ease, but I think you should have a little both in there. Ussually our best calves are sons/daughters of a performance bull that is out of a cow that is sired by a calving ease bull.

I would rather have growth on growth instead of calving ease on calving ease, but I think you should have a little both in there. Ussually our best calves are sons/daughters of a performance bull that is out of a cow that is sired by a calving ease bull.

Yes the Mimi cattle seem to be a little finer boned, the Feddes Big Sky calf seemed to be an exceptin to this. Growth on growth or calving ease on calving ease either way most anytime you breed for extremes it comes back to bite you. The calving ease on calving ease really bothers me though, I AI'd a small set of heifers for some localmpeople last spring and at about the third one I was having fits because all of them were so small. After breeding was done and I hauled the calves back I asked them about their bull secection criteria. The buy a heifer bull for a group of calves and that bull bred the same calves/cows throught their life, they never purchased anything but light BW bulls and it really showed up when I was breeding these calves. Balance for profit, not extremes.

Sage did that feddes Mimi calf have that rooster comb hanging under his chin ? Some Mimi pics show it , some don't.Hmmmm

No I don't think so, a pretty clean bull from front to back. I was looking over his bull crop and he just jumped out at ya, couldn't finda thing wrong except my pockets weren't nearly deep enough. I did get a Norsman King son out of a Blocana cow for heifer clean up, not quite the bull the Mimi calf is but no where near a slouch and new genetics.

Were the norseman calves the best set at 5l? What do you see as the strengths that the bull is passing on in his progeny?

I think the Norsman Express(sired by Norsman King)were some of the strongest calves at 5L sale, the bull I purchased from Feddeds is sired by 5L Norsman King. Had some express and Norsman king calves picked out at the 5L sale but it was a week after Feddes sale and generally a little more money. One big strength is the new genetics, the Express calves generally are a bit thicker but gives up some calving ease, both are moderate frame size and fairly good carcass bulls and ours doesn't seem to have a mean bone in his body. Not going to set standards in the breed such as Chateau, King Rob and such but a very stong line of genetics, real working cattle and have high hopes for the replacements.

Here is the one I bought reg #1025942

BW WW YW Milk Total Mat. - ME - CED HPG CETM ST
-2.7 27 56 25 39 2 7 9 -3 12

MARB REA FAT
0.06 .16 -0.01

Latest posts