Major birthing trouble

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":1eyv9gee said:
When you need a vet and don;t have any expectations of getting one and you've exhausted your abilities and resources, if the animal is suffering putting her down would be the right option.
We've all been in that boat, at least a lot of us have. And there is always regrets because of the "if onlys".

Well said Dun.

Ken

wbvs58":rww6ssbi said:
dun":rww6ssbi said:
When you need a vet and don;t have any expectations of getting one and you've exhausted your abilities and resources, if the animal is suffering putting her down would be the right option.
We've all been in that boat, at least a lot of us have. And there is always regrets because of the "if onlys".

Well said Dun.

Ken

Yup. Shot one myself that was in milk fever. Could have saved her but didn't know what milk fever was and vet couldn't come out. Learned the next day from the dairyman that I probably could have saved her. Also pulled a calf whose head was flopping backwards. I thought it was twins and one was coming backwards. Snapped the calfs neck. Sure wish all my learning was over but I"m sure it's not.

Everyone on here has made bad decisions or failed to do anything when we should have. Most of us wouldn't have worried about that older cow having trouble. Sometimes it's just blind luck or the Good Lord that makes it work. I had an 8 year old about 2 weeks ago I knew was about to calve, missed her one day and said well she's hiding out having it....missed her the next day and something just told me to go look for her. Took me 2 hours to find her in thick briars and vines....2 back feet sticking out. Took me about 3 more hours to get her out of the thick stuff and get her caught. Managed to save the calf and they both are doing fine. But it's a miracle I even looked for her. Heifers are another thing, but Most times I wouldn't have worried at all about an 8 year old MIA for a couple days. Sometimes it's just blind luck

Latest posts