Maintaining Fence Rows

Help Support CattleToday:

killing brush basally is the way to go if the trees are big enough.

We tried using a surficant with remedy this year instead of plain water. The Remedy got the brush and the surficant killed the grass. I killed a bunch of locust trees with a basal spray (remedy & deisel) on a patch of trunk that was only about 6 inches high and reached 1/3 of the way around the tree. Whip sized locust die well with just a foliar spray. We use 4 oz Remedy per gallon of water for foliar and 8 oz per gallon of diesel for basal.

dun

dun":31vyqhu7 said:
We tried using a surficant with remedy this year instead of plain water. The Remedy got the brush and the surficant killed the grass. I killed a bunch of locust trees with a basal spray (remedy & deisel) on a patch of trunk that was only about 6 inches high and reached 1/3 of the way around the tree. Whip sized locust die well with just a foliar spray. We use 4 oz Remedy per gallon of water for foliar and 8 oz per gallon of diesel for basal.

dun
No grazon for basal application?

cul8r said:
Scotty said:
How about a hoe or a yo-yo. I hear how as a society we all need more exercise. This is my remedy. Really slow going.

Scotty

I have to agree with Scotty.

The only other thing that you would need is a good sharp machete and a pair of leather gloves.

Maybe a defibrillator too.

Thanks all for the replys. That's the information I was looking for. I have fences that were clear 8 years or so ago when I put up some of my fence initially. I'm just starting to get to the stage where small saplings, wild rose, and brush are starting to appear.

For those who love overgrown, brushy fence rows, I've had my fill of mending fences due to limbs falling, etc. Also, trying to mend those fences when you're in the middle of a thorny thicket isn't my idea of a good time. Besides, I can't afford to have my cattle running all over the county. The risk of loss and the liability is to great.

Thanks again, all who responded.

dun":3a3ptgcy said:
ollie":3a3ptgcy said:

Why would you use a broadleave weed herbicide on brush and trees?

dun
That was the recipe for basal treatment in the Grazon instructions. 1/3 grazon, 1/3 remedy, and 1/3 diesel. Other than that I don't know why.

ollie":2tbkpx8i said:
dun":2tbkpx8i said:
ollie":2tbkpx8i said:

Why would you use a broadleave weed herbicide on brush and trees?

dun
That was the recipe for basal treatment in the Grazon instructions. 1/3 grazon, 1/3 remedy, and 1/3 diesel. Other than that I don't know why.

That sounds like a combination deal. Kill weeds, prevent seeds from germinating and also kill brush/trees.

dun

I spray for everthing including grass. I use honcho, killzall, or cornerstone which is the same as roundup. I spray everyear and dont have to worry about brush getting big enough that this wont kill it. I spray from a 110 gallon tank and spray a swath about 2 feet. I have 48"field fence all around and have found if I don't kill the grass also it intertwines with the fence.

John Mc.":2j8xuhv6 said:
cul8r":2j8xuhv6 said:
Scotty":2j8xuhv6 said:
How about a hoe or a yo-yo. I hear how as a society we all need more exercise. This is my remedy. Really slow going.

Scotty

I have to agree with Scotty.

The only other thing that you would need is a good sharp machete and a pair of leather gloves.

Maybe a defibrillator too.
=========
Scotty---"John Mc",

:shock: The origional poster wanted to know how to clean a fence row and keep the grass 8) ...not kill an man :p or put 'em in traction with back problems :( :...or render him useless for the wife :shock: :mad: :oops: :lol: ;-)
not to mention being unavailable to play with the kids :idea: or take out the garbage 8) and forbid being unable to go shopping at WM's:roll: 8) :idea: LOL

I'd have to agree with tapeworm on not using the diesel mixture in a folier treatment. Most of the time the diesel will burn the leaves and shut down the plant system before the hebicide gets to the roots. A basal treatment works well on larger trees, but the dead trees could fall on the fence. Better to cut them down and use a stump treatment. I've had good luck using Garlon 3A and Tordon K on fencerows. It seems to work well on most types of broadleafs.

Remedy,water and a few drops of liqued dish soap. The soap makes the remedy stick like glue. Spraying is better on a hot dry day. Save that expensive diesel for your tractor! Dish soap is a whole lot cheaper. ;-)

Ifin you don't want to put up with the foam from dish detergent you can also put a cold drank ( pop or soda to some of yens ) in it. It will do the same thing without foaming. Mix a little 2,4 - D in with the remedy and you can hear those weeds screaming like a coon peeing razorblades.

will a warm drank work jest as well?

yeah i dont think i'll be using diesel as weedkiller this year...

Beefy I see your from Gaauuga, I'm sure you know what a "cold drank" is. I bet you even know what a moon pie is too.

Bama":3fxd8ckm said:
Beefy I see your from Gaauuga, I'm sure you know what a "cold drank" is. I bet you even know what a moon pie is too.

Got to have RC cola with a moon pie.

i eat peanuts in my coke and pea juice on my cornbread. i'd say thats a safe assumption.

We use 41% Glyphosphate, the original old Monsanto Round-Up formula that the patent ran out on a while back.Mix it up with about a 1/2 gallon of Diesel, in a 30 gal. Spayer just to make it stick.Kills Blackberries, sapplings . grass and about everthing it touches, starts turning yellow in about seven days.A real good brand we sell and use goes under the trade name of Eraser, has twice the surfactant as some others.

rwtherefords":1gw49riw said:
What recommendations do you have for controlling brush, vines, wild roses, etc. in fence rows? I want to kill the "bad" stuff, yet keep the grass.
==============

rwtherefords,

Some of these posters didn't read your post correctly :shock: ...."YET KEEP THE GRASS"......or don't have the experience to know the difference. :p

BE AWARE........ DIESEL WILL KILL THE GRASS. :roll:

In fact I don't know of any plant diesel will not kill. I'm not familiar with the ...Caustic Bruno application..but from his past excellent posts I would bet it is correct.

preston39":61oqgtzf said:
rwtherefords":61oqgtzf said:
What recommendations do you have for controlling brush, vines, wild roses, etc. in fence rows? I want to kill the "bad" stuff, yet keep the grass.
==============

rwtherefords,

Some of these posters didn't read your post correctly :shock: ...."YET KEEP THE GRASS"......or don't have the experience to know the difference. :p

BE AWARE........ DIESEL WILL KILL THE GRASS. :roll:

In fact I don't know of any plant diesel will not kill. I'm not familiar with the ...Caustic Bruno application..but from his past excellent posts I would bet it is correct.

Ok, Now you got it coming Preston. You had better watch what you say on here.Who in the heck is going to maintain a fence row without killing some Dad Gummed Grass????If you don't kill some grass what have you accomplished??Is your experience maintaining greens at a durned Golf Course or something?? You want pictures of my fence rows??I do a durn good job of maintaining them, you spray for sapplings, briars, brush, whatever, YOU"RE GONNA KILL SOME GRASS. By Gosh it will grow back too.You can take your Smiley A$$ faces and eye rolling B.S. right back wherever you were before you got on these Boards with yer copy and paste Chicken Feces.You've stepped out of bounds several times and now I'm calling you on it!

Latest posts