Maintaining Fence Rows

Help Support CattleToday:

rwtherefords

Reaction score
What recommendations do you have for controlling brush, vines, wild roses, etc. in fence rows? I want to kill the "bad" stuff, yet keep the grass.

Mix a little "Remedy" in with the 2,4-D for the woody shrubs, wild roses, etc. It will even get rid of "Popcorn" (Chinese Elm) trees.

We use Grazon and Remedy mixed together but the remedy can kill the grass or at least knock it back some. It works really good on fence rows. For the bigger trees and shrubs and really overgrown patches of briars we will mix up remedy and diesel in a pump up sprayer and spray them seperately. Don't put diesel in your pasture spray rig though because it will eat up the seals a lot quicker.

sidney411":3p46zldd said:
We use Grazon and Remedy mixed together but the remedy can kill the grass or at least knock it back some. It works really good on fence rows. For the bigger trees and shrubs and really overgrown patches of briars we will mix up remedy and diesel in a pump up sprayer and spray them seperately. Don't put diesel in your pasture spray rig though because it will eat up the seals a lot quicker.

So whats the benefit of the diesel :?:

Make sure it's on a real sunny, hot, dry, still day. Then you can see the plants start to wither almost as soon as they get doused.

I diesel seems to accelerate the kill process of the remedy, and it also works like a surfactant, being that is is oil based. It also sticks to wet plants better and a little sprinkle won't wash it off as easily as a general surfactant.

How about a hoe or a yo-yo. I hear how as a society we all need more exercise. This is my remedy. Really slow going.

Scotty

Scotty":2qfwlasb said:
How about a hoe or a yo-yo. I hear how as a society we all need more exercise. This is my remedy. Really slow going.

Scotty

I have to agree with Scotty.

The only other thing that you would need is a good sharp machete and a pair of leather gloves.

thanks scotty... :lol: , but i like the liquid weed killer... and it is hard to beat grazon... it will kill the small woody stuff too.

jt

I read a brocure that called for 19 oz per 2 gallons of diesel. I beleive it was from Texas extention service. This was for Remedy. I used that to kill some Honey Locust trees and it worked great. Yellow in a week and no leaves in 2 months. Same for mesquites.

Scotty

i am definitely in the minority here. i dont want my fence rows cleared. i want the brushy and weedy growth, no. 1 for the wildlife-----travel lanes and resting places for quail and rabbits and deer and turkey also. No. 2, I like the brush to grow up in the fences along the roadway so that people cant see into my fields from the road. I dont want them to try to spotlight deer and shoot my cows or calves and I dont want them to see something they want to steal. A perfect road fence, to me has a solid stand of cedar trees in the fence row thick enough that no one knows what is on the other side of the fence. Like I said, I am definitely in the minority here

Thats fine and dandy in certain circumstances. If you have a place along a major highway and a tree falls on your fence and your stock gets on the road. Then what. The post I think was to find out what works best for the type of growth. I think it depends on what you are killing, how much and big is it. And the weather are the major factors. Trees require more than briar. Remeber there are enviromental concerns. I remeber using old motor oil and killing weeds. Bet one could get into some trouble nowdays.

Scotty

Scotty, you are absolutely right about the different circumstances. I am in the hills in the Ozarks in Missouri, state highways but not interestates border my fields. I have yet to have cattle get out because a tree fell across the fence by the road, many times I have had cattle get on the road because some driver missed a corner and drove through my fence and then drove out without telling me----that always upsets me, to say the least. I have never had a cow get out on one of the corners where the driver missed the road and his car ran into the trees and couldnt break the fence.
Also, you are right, the original question was how to get rid of the brush in the fence row if you wanted rid of it----so I kind of got on a different topic

Spray that mixture of Remedy and diesel on those mesquite trees and watch them DIIIIIEEEE, DIIIIEEE, DIIIIEEE. I hate those trees.

Dick

Only mix with diesel to kill brush for a basal spray...to keep from evaporating. If you spray the leaves use water....not diesel...diesel on the leaves defeats the purpose..burns em..you want brush to be growing active if you spray the leaves so it gets to the root. Spraying diesel mix on the leaves will work and make you think it works quicker but its not as good killing brush in the long haul

Latest posts