Maintaining bred heifers during an extreme drought....

Help Support CattleToday:

aaroninga

Reaction score
Is what I've been learning lately.
I'm confident that a lot of you guys have been there, done that and have the t shirt too!
Not likely I got more than .5 inches of rain in the last 10-11 weeks.
The pastures are crunchy walking through them, my blueberries dehydrated on the bushes that are starting to die and the Johnson grass don't even want to grow.

Care to share some of what you experienced? Do's, don'ts and what's some of the things you learned and had to pay attention to.

I've read ALL 180 back pages of grasses, pasture and hay since joining this spring and I'm about 80 pages back in the breeding and calving topic.
I really appreciate everyone that shares their knowledge, experience, tips and time.

My 8 heifers are due in September-October, 2 are 30 months old and 6 are 23 months right now.
All bred to the same registered LBW angus 18 month old bull. Confirmed bred by my vet early April.

I'll guess they're a BCS of at least 5 and possibly 6-7. I'll try to put up pictures taken yesterday.
...I've been feeding hay for 7-8 weeks.
...Supplementing with 6 gallons of feed 5-6 times a week.
...Took them off my pastures 4-5 weeks ago to not devastate them.
...Provide 24# protein tubs and quality hi mag minerals 24-7 365.
...Clean fresh water every day.
...Just opened up my last couple acres of woods and creek for them.

I don't feel like I have an urgent problem to solve immediately but will gladly pay you Tuesday if you'll send me some rain today :)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

I would probably discontinue feeding those heifers any grain type feed! Keep on the hay and grass, but you're asking those calves to be larger than they would be normally. Once into the third tri-mester, I would no longer supplement with any feed if they have access to something else to carry them thru the drought. It sounds like they do....

good luck

Nah, just 6 gallon bucket for all eight and the donkey.
I was kinda wondering if I needed to lighten up their feed.
Guess I'm trying to find that right balance to not loose condition, especially after calving.
Perhaps resume feed afterwards while in milk?
Thanks Gator and Kingfisher.

Aaron they look good to me. Matter of fact they look just the way I would want them. Fat heifers will cause as much trouble as big calves. I think you're doing just right but I agree about backing off on the grain from here on out. Feed them a couple of days a week, maybe three, and keep them some good hay and I think you'll be fine. It's so hot here that they can't help but lose some weight. They look good.

Yea save that grain for after they calve. That's when they are going to need it. Them heifers will be in for enough without having to struggle delivering a big calf. They look good and slick for sure

All of mine go to hay and minerals the last 3 months. Neighbors and my veteranarians recomendation. They grow the most the last 3 months.

Thanks JMJ.... I hate the thought of them being under nourished.
I'll guess you may be lacking rain and many hot days in middle Georgia too.

Kingfisher
BK
Your feedback is appreciated as well!

aaroninga":2hvruz3q said:
Thanks JMJ.... I hate the thought of them being under nourished.
I'll guess you may be lacking rain and many hot days in middle Georgia too

Yes sir. Been terrible dry and bad hot to boot. But we finally got a real good rain yesterday evening. First one in almost 2 months at that farm that was more than 1/10 or so. It won't last long but I'm mighty thankful for what we did get.

Latest posts