Maine Anjou

Help Support CattleToday:

9 ER

Reaction score
I bred my angus x and herford x heifers to a low BW Maine Anjou bull. The bull had a actual bw of 80 lbs. What should I expect out the calves?

9 ER":30knq5pc said:
I bred my angus x and herford x heifers to a low BW Maine Anjou bull. The bull had a actual bw of 80 lbs. What should I expect out the calves?

Who would know as no one knows the background on your cows, being they are crossbreed cows this is a huge woodpile.

I would take odds on solid blk if your heifers are blk baldies. Maybe have some stockings. Meybe even red coloring. Coin toss, that only a guesse.

Scotty

They are mostly angus/brahma herford/brahma if that helps. With the Maine influence I read that they will be blockier and would not put on size and weight until after weening. If this is true, then when would be the best time to sell them? Or if I keep them, should I expect them to be larger than their mommas?

LittleTabby1.jpg

This is a heifer out of a percentage Simbrah cow (Brahman x Simmental) out of a Maine Anjou bull.

She's the best of the lot we got out of the Maine bull.. the calves were good, but a lot of them were too fine boned for me. All of mine except this one are going to the auction when they are weaned

9 ER":1o5pslp6 said:

All I can tell you is that one year our vet had a very profitable spring pulling calves out of heifers because several of her customers went to Maine bulls. Good luck....

TheBullLady":gi2c9hwb said:
LittleTabby1.jpg

This is a heifer out of a percentage Simbrah cow (Brahman x Simmental) out of a Maine Anjou bull.

She's the best of the lot we got out of the Maine bull.. the calves were good, but a lot of them were too fine boned for me. All of mine except this one are going to the auction when they are weaned
goodlooking calf you got there. I can wish to have some like that, but you know they say about wishing in one hand and.....

9 ER":1k5bhmwa said:
In order to really take the guess work out of breeding cattle, you must have as much information (EPD's, Fame size, Production records, etc.) as possible. Then with a known bulls numbers (EPD's, etc) you can pretty well have a good idea what will result. But, genetics being what they are, you never know EXACTLY what the final bottom line will be.

Frankie":2gbp0sk5 said:
9 ER":2gbp0sk5 said:

All I can tell you is that one year our vet had a very profitable spring pulling calves out of heifers because several of her customers went to Maine bulls. Good luck....
:shock: Boy - that should get your attention - Big Time! That's an example of why it is SO-O-O-O-O important to KNOW what your chances are of either having a successful breeding season or loosing money on "Gee, -I-sure-hope-this-works" management plan. The Breed Associations all figured out years ago that they had to have some way to minimize the negatives and maximize the positives. And they have done a wonderful job of doing just that. A great number of very intelligent people have spent a lot of effort in trying to help the Beef Industry. It is the responsibility of Beef Breeders to take advantage of their work! ;-)

A friend who was also an AI tech had Maine cattle. He had very expensive bloodlines, and good quality. They were some of the widest, flattest topped cattle I've ever seen when viewed from behind. They grew quickly from birth to finish.

When I was considering the purchase of my first bull, I questioned him about the bull's actual BW of 87 pounds, his breed average BW EPD, and using him on heifers. He said, "Most Maine breeders would love to have an 87 pound BW bull for their heifers." He advised me that if the heifers were the right type (pelvic size and shape) age and size, that breed average was pretty safe. Whether you agree with that assessment or not, we never pulled a calf out of that bull, nor have the commercial breeders who own him now.

greenwillowherefords":37xz0ycq said:
A friend who was also an AI tech had Maine cattle. He had very expensive bloodlines, and good quality. They were some of the widest, flattest topped cattle I've ever seen when viewed from behind. They grew quickly from birth to finish.

When I was considering the purchase of my first bull, I questioned him about the bull's actual BW of 87 pounds, his breed average BW EPD, and using him on heifers. He said, "Most Maine breeders would love to have an 87 pound BW bull for their heifers." He advised me that if the heifers were the right type (pelvic size and shape) age and size, that breed average was pretty safe. Whether you agree with that assessment or not, we never pulled a calf out of that bull, nor have the commercial breeders who own him now.
I would bet that your Momma cows had a lot to do with the easy calving!

9 ER, just be on top of those first few heifer calvings, and if there are no problems, then maybe you can relax.

DOC HARRIS":2me1ncb5 said:
greenwillowherefords":2me1ncb5 said:

I would bet that your Momma cows had a lot to do with the easy calving!

Inasmuch as one first calf heifer went two weeks overdue and calved unassisted a 95 pound bull calf, and bred back in 60 days, yes, the type of cattle that I have has a lot to do with it. The bull calf grew very well and is now in a commercial herd. You may see them both if you do a search on Greenwillow pictures posted by Certherfbeef.

9 ER":1r89j8u6 said:
What you should expect is extra long front legs..hope you have new cable. LOL
Good luck 9er....I would sure keep them close to the house

Latest posts