Maine Anjou heifers and cow

Help Support CattleToday:

JWBrahman

Reaction score
New girlfriends for our Hereford bull. The best black heifers I have seen this year in the swamp.
HL_20140712113718.jpg

Mother is a ten year old show cow. Probably the most docile cattle I have ever been around and they make one monster of a terminal baldie.
HL_20140712113536.jpg

A ten year old registered cow nursing a calf and maintaining condition is hard to find. The heifers are ET, full sisters, and they were not cheap. Mother is probably 1500-1600, the heifers were 80lbs at birth.

cow pollinater":px2a0vix said:
Glad they're doing well for you. That cows rump angle makes me cringe.

What don't you like cow pollinater? She had no trouble moving and neither did her daughters.
She is in the beginning stages of pooping.
She doesn't belong to me, she belongs to a registered Maine Anjou herd. Always glad to hear different opinions and learn new things.

Red Bull Breeder":3lakdq4k said:
Had a few tipped up that a way, they never worked out to good for me.

In what way Red Bull? I see a lot of commercial cows with rumps every size and shape of disaster still squirting out calves and moving around. Nobody learns anything unless yall get specific. :lol2:

JWBrahman":1x30nohc said:
cow pollinater":1x30nohc said:
Glad they're doing well for you. That cows rump angle makes me cringe.

What don't you like cow pollinater? She had no trouble moving and neither did her daughters.
She is in the beginning stages of pooping.
She doesn't belong to me, she belongs to a registered Maine Anjou herd. Always glad to hear different opinions and learn new things.
You want some slope from hooks to pins. She looks like a flat line and maybe a negative angle with a better picture. That's part of why she looks so long, her belly has to stretch all the way back because her back end is off balance. Cattle built like that are said to be hard hard calvers but I can't give any first hand knowledge of that. I CAN tell you that they will not clean out as well after birth. I've seen way to many dirty (dirty meaning uterine infections) cows with high pins in relation to the amount that I see on correct cattle to think that one is a myth.

CP pretty much nailed it. Tipped or tilted pelvic Is what I have heard it called. Often a sign of infertility, and that's what happened to the ones I have had that was built that way.

Thanks CP, RB, and Alacowman. She really is that long CP, just not very deep.

If that cow ever had a reproductive problem she would have been gone pecan. Those gals cull HARD!
Chuckie also brought up the issue poopin in the yahoo a while back in her funnel butt thread. I wonder why the Tigerstripes whose business looks like a mudhole never have troubles?

I have never seen a tiger that **** straight up. Is she the mother of the heifers? Has she ever been totally exposed to natural service a few years in a row?

RB you know that old saying been around the block? You must have poured the concrete because I do not think she was naturally serviced more than one year in a row. The heifers have more depth than the mother and straight up about two hundred more pounds than anything here at that age.

There is a lot of growing demand for the 800 pounders. Getting there in our climate takes every trick in the book.

I raise limousin seen a lot of them built like her I learned to pass on them. The heifers look good and should work for what you are going to do.

Latest posts