Maine anjou

Help Support CattleToday:

5S Cattle

Reaction score
Did a little working vacation this past weekend. Drove up to boerne tx and worked 130 head of Maine Anjou cattle for a guy in exchange for letting us hunt his place. I sure was impressed with them, especially his f1's out of a brahman bull man were they nice. Should have got a picture. Good temperment, well built, moderate frame, raised meat wagon calves. All good until we started talking about birth weights, he said he had a 150 lb calf once. 120-130 lbs was plenty normal :shock:
I couldn't believe it. Anyone have experience with this breed?

Full blooded usually have such births. I've watched a video with pure Maine Anjou bull calves a couple years ago. BWs, weight at 120days and weight at 210days was given of almost everyone in that video. The smallest birth weight was 106lbs. From 24 bulls only 3 were born under 110lbs. Two biggest BW were 130 and 187lbs. That's just results from one farm. Maine Anjou naturally are one of biggest breeds, so just like original Charolais calves are ~110lbs+, MA have big birth weights. I could hardly imagine 2000lbs cow having a tiny 80lbs calf.
The original video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4xv7no-DJc

There is a Maine Anjou herd not far from me in Zachary, Louisiana. The cows are solid black, around 1200-1300 pounds, frame 5 meat wagons. I bought one and like her. No birthweights over 80 from our cow. Not the best milkers, but the udders are usually good with decent teats.

They do make a nice F1 crossed with Brahman. Maine is one of the breeds that reaches sexual maturity early so it's a good cross for Brahman.

Maine Angus crosses produce more yield grading Choice than a straight Angus.

JWBrahman":37zs9fuv said:
There is a Maine Anjou herd not far from me in Zachary, Louisiana. The cows are solid black, around 1200-1300 pounds, frame 5 meat wagons. I bought one and like her. No birthweights over 80 from our cow. Not the best milkers, but the udders are usually good with decent teats.

They do make a nice F1 crossed with Brahman. Maine is one of the breeds that reaches sexual maturity early so it's a good cross for Brahman.

Maine Angus crosses produce more yield grading Choice than a straight Angus.
Ya the guy did comment that they weren't too great on milking. But these were also on sparse pasture in the Texas hill country. Mostly rocks and scrub brush. I'm guessing by your screen name you run a Brahman bull over yours? How do you like the calves?

We use Angus bulls on Brahman based cows, the Maine is just a side thing. I have a daughter from the Maine and a Hereford bull. She is my favorite one in the herd, docile and efficient. Both the Maine and her daughter stay fat year round. The Maine Angus is a good steer that can keep up with the Brangus even with less milk.

There are always Brahman x Maine F1's at the big sale in Opelousas but they are too expensive for me. Last year some heifers were getting $3,000.

Latest posts