Made the swap !!

Help Support CattleToday:

Named'em Tamed'em

Reaction score
I've been doing some research for the last year or so and came up with a 2006 Dodge 3500 dually 5.9 cummins automatic (bum Hip) with 29,000 miles on it.

After the extended warranty ran out on my 05 F-450 sick.0 liter it was time to get rid of it.

Tranny failure 2x :bs:

Fuel rail problems :bs:

turbo failure :bs:

Fan clutch :bs:

Traded it in needing head gaskets replaced ($5800 quote) :deadhorse:

Made my first trip out to Montana (2000 mile r/t) hunting pulling the 5th wheel trailer and everything seemed great. Better mileage and of course smoother than the F-450. I hit the bottom of ten mile grade crossing the Columbia @70 mph O/D off and crested the top at 68 mph without blinking. Averaged 12.5 mpg (70 mph) from 10' elevation at home to 6890' over eleven mountain passes. I think I'm going to like it!

I thought about a Duramax / Allison (I have a Kodiak 4500) but this was the best truck availible at the time.

That's a good age of one to get. With the transmission the way it is it should handle a 100hp chip fine, not that it needs the power, but it would really help your mileage.

denvermartinfarms":26lonxb6 said:
That's a good age of one to get. With the transmission the way it is it should handle a 100hp chip fine, not that it needs the power, but it would really help your mileage.

Just how much does it help when it's chipped? Yes, I know there are different ones.

slick4591":me2lmpx7 said:
denvermartinfarms":me2lmpx7 said:

Just how much does it help when it's chipped? Yes, I know there are different ones.
On my 6.7 cummins it's getting about 6mpg better, but it's a 6 speed. It gets better if you turn it up all the way, but I think it may not be real good for the truck to be making 525hp.

Your truck being an auto (48re) don't put more than 50hp tune on it when towing. Those transmissions won't hold up long under high hp tunes loaded down towing. Also wouldn't be a bad idea to invest in an EGT guage to keep on eye on those and not melt your turbo. EFI live is the best tuning for the 5.9 cummins, if you can't find a local tuner then buy a smarty jr.

denvermartinfarms":na2nwnnu said:
On my 6.7 cummins it's getting about 6mpg better, but it's a 6 speed. It gets better if you turn it up all the way, but I think it may not be real good for the truck to be making 525hp.

Thanks. My step-son was trying to get me to chip my Duramax and said it would be anywhere from $350 to $500 to get it done. He never did know what the mileage savings would be, so I didn't know if I could justify doing it. Don't need the extra power, but the extra miles would be nice.

Calhoun Farm":2q9xbyfa said:
Your truck being an auto (48re) don't put more than 50hp tune on it when towing. Those transmissions won't hold up long under high hp tunes loaded down towing. Also wouldn't be a bad idea to invest in an EGT guage to keep on eye on those and not melt your turbo. EFI live is the best tuning for the 5.9 cummins, if you can't find a local tuner then buy a smarty jr.
Good information on that transmission and what it will handle. My grandpa has a 6.7 with the 6spd auto and the guys here said it will handle 100hp fine but to be careful above that. I have a heavy duty clutch in my truck but I still feel like I could blow it out at anytime if I tried on 175hp.

denvermartinfarms":99kltok4 said:
Calhoun Farm":99kltok4 said:
Good information on that transmission and what it will handle. My grandpa has a 6.7 with the 6spd auto and the guys here said it will handle 100hp fine but to be careful above that. I have a heavy duty clutch in my truck but I still feel like I could blow it out at anytime if I tried on 175hp.

I've got a southbend dual disc in mine, its noisy and hard to shift when cold but it tows like a mother and doesn't slip.

Calhoun Farm":3320sc8z said:
I've got a southbend dual disc in mine, its noisy and hard to shift when cold but it tows like a mother and doesn't slip.
I had to put a clutch in my truck before It needed it because a mouse chewed insulation off the bottom of the truck and packed it in the clutch through a vent hole, at the time the truck was still stock so I didn't put a south bend in it. I whent with a daul disc Valeo and it's been fine so far but we'll see.

Those are good clutches, you should have long service out of it. I'm having back surgery next week and praying I can still drive my truck afterwards. If I have to go automatic I'll look for a 6.7 with a 6spd auto or go to a dmax/allison.

Calhoun Farm":3bxpnff1 said:
Those are good clutches, you should have long service out of it. I'm having back surgery next week and praying I can still drive my truck afterwards. If I have to go automatic I'll look for a 6.7 with a 6spd auto or go to a dmax/allison.
I hope it go's well for you, I would sure hate to have to go to a auto myself.

Dodge trucks do not get chips. They get programmers. As for a 2000, the Edge or Smarty should work fine. These programmers will only add so much based on what the rest of the engine modifications can support. Yes, you can get better economy and a bit more power, but it will not be as advertized on the box. Without more supporting modifications,( injectors, turbo, pumps etc.) the programmer will be limited. Just make sure to get one with either monitoring or settable parameters so you don't cook something to death.

Latest posts