Lutalyse

Help Support CattleToday:

3way, according to you there must be allot of people pulling calves from heifers, because breed average for CED is 2. :lol2: http://www.angus.org/nce/averages.aspx

Doc made a post a year or two ago about all the people selecting for low birth weight and how it was likely to hurt them in the growth department down the road, you might try and dig that post up.

As far as your comment about the AAA saying a 3 was safe for heifers just being propaganda, you would have to say the EPD's are just propaganda themselves, because it was all calculated by the same people. :D

RD-Sam":14sejszu said:
3way, according to you there must be allot of people pulling calves from heifers, because breed average for CED is 2. :lol2: http://www.angus.org/nce/averages.aspx
So what you are saying is you would use a bull that is just average for CED as a heifer bull? :dunce: I would put a big ole laughing emoticon there for effect but that concept is just too stupid for words. I think the dunce is more appropriate.
Doc made a post a year or two ago about all the people selecting for low birth weight and how it was likely to hurt them in the growth department down the road, you might try and dig that post up.
That has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion.
As far as your comment about the AAA saying a 3 was safe for heifers just being propaganda, you would have to say the EPD's are just propaganda themselves, because it was all calculated by the same people. :D

Starting to think that they are worse than propaganda. I am still trying to figure out why the bull has NO epd's and if he did why they werent updated. I know I receive an updated epd report every year on my bull from the AAA.

Or maybe you could quit while you are just a little bit behind! ;-)

I'm not sure either? (Why there's no EPDs on him) I'm sure he's already hamburger or else I'd inquire. Maybe someone will know. I assumed they were computed when registered??

MF135":2c6ujle8 said:
I'm not sure either? (Why there's no EPDs on him) I'm sure he's already hamburger or else I'd inquire. Maybe someone will know. I assumed they were computed when registered??

It's hard to say. What I think is significant is that he had 4 years of results that fly in the face of his epd's and they were never updated.

3waycross":1u4ok9du said:
RD-Sam":1u4ok9du said:
So what you are saying is you would use a bull that is just average for CED as a heifer bull? :dunce: I would put a big ole laughing emoticon there for effect but that concept is just too stupid for words. I think the dunce is more appropriate.
That has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion.

Starting to think that they are worse than propaganda. I am still trying to figure out why the bull has NO epd's and if he did why they werent updated. I know I receive an updated epd report every year on my bull from the AAA.

Or maybe you could quit while you are just a little bit behind! ;-)

If you think they are worse than propaganda, why are you so concerned about the CED? :roll:

For someone that knows so much about angus, I don't know why you can't figure out why he has no EPD, it's really simple. :lol2:

The only explanation as why he has no EPD's is that it was a commercial herd that used him ,therefor no need to submit data.

hillsdown":1eetpw91 said:
The only explanation as why he has no EPD's is that it was a commercial herd that used him ,therefor no need to submit data.

Except that he should have been given epd's when he was registered. Maybe the new Frankie can explain it to us. Of course he has ducked every other attempt to make him accountable this should be no different.

BTW SAM I noticed you did not have much to say about that ANGUS BULL What amazes me about SAM is how he can eat his words and type at the same time. He must be one of those multitaskers I have heard about.

hillsdown":18wgce95 said:
Serious question: does the AAA not issue EPDs on virgin bulls?

MF135":1ln4873n said:
hillsdown":1ln4873n said:
Serious question: does the AAA not issue EPDs on virgin bulls?

Of course they do. Then they update them every year. I received an update on the bull I posted here last week even though there has never been a calf registered out of him with the Angus Assn. I have registered several Balancers out of him but no Angus.

KNERSIE wrote:After all this problems you've had the TMW you keep harping on about my cattle seems rather insignificant....

Out of the 45 I run and the 60+ head my grandpa runs, we assisted/pulled 7 calves. 4 were out of DF, 2 out of the a Brangus bull, and 1 out of the Gelbvieh I purchased. The one was breach and upside down. Not exactly what I would call "all these problems". I made the TMW comment once on one particular animal. "Keep harping" would insinuate multiple comments, multiple times. As many have told you, TMW in the states will get you docked severly. Both in the showring and at the salebarn. Im a huge fan of your cattle evalution skills, heck I drink yours and doc harris' words for breakfast. I'd like to see better udders on some of the cows you posted, but phenotypically, they're as good as any Ive seen.

My comment was unneccesary in the given situation and for that I apologise.

MF 135 -- We've had our differences . . . but I truly hope you get this worked out, so that it works out for you/your cattle. We all "stew" and sometimes anguish about what we should do with our critters. And that is NOT fun. :cboy:

Kathie in Thorp":3nasm1qe said:
MF 135 -- We've had our differences . . . but I truly hope you get this worked out, so that it works out for you/your cattle. We all "stew" and sometimes anguish about what we should do with our critters. And that is NOT fun. :cboy:

I agree. Good luck young fella!

hillsdown":2fkkfyb5 said:
3waycross":2fkkfyb5 said:
hillsdown":2fkkfyb5 said:

Except that he should have been given epd's when he was registered.
Agree 100% 3way :nod:

So why no EPD's, please enlighten us Sam .

It's really simple, the bulls dam has interim EPD's in all of her categories. If either the sire or the dam have interim status EPD's in any category, the offspring will not receive an EPD for that category. The only way to get an EPD on a calf under those circumstances is for the calf to have data turned in with a contemporary group, submit data on the calves offspring with a contemporary group, or submit DNA to have an Igenity test done.

Do you feel enlightened now? :lol2: If you need any further assistance I will try and help out. :D

What would have caused the dam to have only received interim EPDs?

MF135":1xgjv406 said:

She was probably not part of a contemporary group herself. The AAA will not give out EPD's like some organizations on a hunch, the data has to be submitted on the calves, and they have to be in a contemporary group for comparison.

RD-Sam":3pf9vbhn said:
MF135":3pf9vbhn said:

She was probably not part of a contemporary group herself. The AAA will not give out EPD's like some organizations on a hunch, the data has to be submitted on the calves, and they have to be in a contemporary group for comparison.
You're back to square one and still don't know what you have. Turn him in with the heifers and you'll know next year.

Latest posts