lutalyse on heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

black and red

Reaction score
I didn't do a good job managing my bulls and taking them out of the pasture. It was so hot and dry and my lots weren't fixed up yet so I left them in with the cows until Oct. 15. I'm a little worried about my heifer calves. They were born in March and April. I'm sure there's a chance they could be bred. My question is can i use lutalyse on them without any problems? Even if say they area month or two pregnant? I'm just speculating and probably over reacting but I'm just trying to be safe. Any help is appreciated. thanks.

Yes you can Lute them without adverse affects. What breed are they though? You may or may not have to worry.

They're F1 baldie heifers (result of herf bull on angus cows). The bull that was with them is also a herford.

I have been giving lute to heifers at weaning for the same reason. My March-April heifers are in with the bull from bull-in in June to weaning last week.

However my vet says the lute will not be effective if they have just been bred. He says it is best to give them a shot of lute 10-14 days AFTER they are pulled away from bull. They should then abort if bred. I find this avoids some very unpleasant surprises. Hereford bull calves can be fertile and heifers cycling some time before std 205 day weaning.

Jim

I had a gelbvieh x jersey heifer start cycling at 4 months. I had to beat the bull off of her. I don't think he was succesful in breeding her but I pulled him out, waited 2 weeks and gave a her a shot of lute. Cycling that young is not normal but it shows that it can happen.

I believe the tricky thing is giving it at the right time. I do know from experience that if you wait to long, it will not work.

Good luck with them.

Thanks for the help! I'm going to work the heifers this weekend. That'll be a couple weeks after I pulled the bull.

I kept my cows and bulls in a lot next to my heifers. I "think" maybe not all the heifers "are" bred because my cows were riding the bull and he wasn't interested in them and then I got good news when I pregged checked all the cows and had ZERO open. Perhaps the cows were sensing the heifers that were coming into heat? I might be dreaming. lol. Anyways still gonna give em a shot of Lute this weekend. All the cows and bulls are out on corn stalks till January! Awwwww so nice not to mess with them for a while!

What are the weights of the heifers? Why I say is that we have had some get bred early like that and we let them go ahead and carry the calf. We did it because they were early breeders and for us is a good thing. I know that there are risks but if she did have the calf or calved with ease almost every time for use they made great cows.

TennesseeTuxedo":2stg4ije said:
What can be the downside to giving the Lute and it not inducing the desired effect?
The only down side would be that they don;t abort/cycle from the shot.

LimoX":142j6a8o said:
What are the weights of the heifers? Why I say is that we have had some get bred early like that and we let them go ahead and carry the calf. We did it because they were early breeders and for us is a good thing. I know that there are risks but if she did have the calf or calved with ease almost every time for use they made great cows.

500-600lbs. Born in late March, early april.

The only reason I don't want them to carry a calf is that I'm planning on ET'ing these heifers. For some reason I've heard heifers are easiest to AI and ET?

I understand why you would want to Lute them then. On this farm here we would take the approach I discussed earlier.

TennesseeTuxedo":jyx4za9z said:
dun":jyx4za9z said:
TennesseeTuxedo":jyx4za9z said:
What can be the downside to giving the Lute and it not inducing the desired effect?
The only down side would be that they don;t abort/cycle from the shot.

But if they are pregnant and they don't abort is there a chance of a birth defect in the calf?
No!

Latest posts