CIDRs and Lutalyse

Help Support CattleToday:

gberry

Reaction score
We recently synchronized with CIDRs followed by Lutalyse and CIDR removal on day 7. It seemed to work pretty well, but I think we may have missed standing heat on several cows (they were showing a lot of secondary signs, but never stood to be mounted). My question is could we give another shot of lutalyse to these cows to bring them in again and how soon could we give it after the last shot? Thanks for any replies.

I wouldn't do it with my own girls but that is JMO.I would let natural heats come from the ones you missed and AI at the 12 hour rule.I think this is when you need to watch them like a hawk.The ovsync with cidrs has alot of hormones in it so how much do you want to play with their own natural system?However I am sure some will say to go ahead so in the end it is up to you.Also if I was on a schedule I wpul be think about a good bull.

A friend of mine did my Synch/AI in this sequence -

Day 1 CIDR w/combo progest/EPG shot
Day 7 Pull CIDR, give shot Lutalyse
23-24 hours later - shot of Estrodal
30 hours later - AI

He did 5 heifers and 1 cow and said they all "felt" good. I know at 12:00 am Sat morning they were all hotter that a $2 pistol!! We had a neighbor's bull that had heard nature's call so we had to stand watch throughout the night!! We bred at 12:00 pm Sat.

Thinking of using the bloodtest mentioned on the other thread to check pregnancy

I know there are several different protocols using CIDRs. I'm probably not going to repeat the whole process but it seems to me I could give another shot of Lutalyse and most would cycle again. With the 2 shot lutalyse protocol they are given 11 days apart. Can they be given closer? Should I wait 11 days? Is this a bad idea all together? My other option would be to wait until they cycle again, but for time concerns I need to move ahead if possible.

just finished some up myself. try a k mar or heat patch. You can detect heat in a general time frame. Most heats probably happen while we are sleeping

Latest posts