Lutalyse (PG ingection)

Help Support CattleToday:

dompeters84

Reaction score
We are going to be AI about 30 cows and heffiers in about a week. We have started with CIDRs. My question is when we give the PG ingection where is the best spot to give it? Same for GNRH? The PG ingection we will be giving in about a week and the GNRH will be 72 hours later at the time of AI. This is our first time doing this.

What Hook said just stay away from the fatty parts and make sure the neddle goes into the muscle.

The neck is best for meat quality and it keeps you from getting kicked. Lut gets absorbed into the bloodstream almost instantly so anywhere you give it it is just as effective. Same with gnrh. So you might as well follow meat quality guidlines and give both in the neck... somebodys going to eat her someday.

pollinator is right. Follow BQA guidelines and give it in the neck.
I hear folks say, "I give it in the hip, 'cause it's closer to the ovaries." That's BS; it's absorbed into the bloodstream - doesn't get to the ovary any faster from a hip/butt injection than it does if given in the neck - but sure has the potential to cause more damage to more desirable cuts of meat if you accidentally introduce some bacteria when you stick her, causing an abscess.
Folks, we're in the business of producing MEAT, and if you give that end-consumer a reason not to like the product - like an abscess or a big wad of scar tissue in their steak or roast, you hurt us all.

During a conversation yesterday I couldn't recall at what point Lutalyse would not be effective on a pregnant heifer. Would someone please remind me because I can't find it via the search function.

Before about 12-14 days post heat and I think over 3 months bred

slick4591":3hju3ddx said:
Thanks, Dun. Any idea what it might do, if anything?
It won;t do anything outside of that window toher then cost you money for the shot. After that 3 mionth deal to abort them you need lute and dex

It can be effective from the time she builts a corpus lutium, which is around seven days since last heat on a heifer, up until she calves. at around 150 days carrying calf the accuracy drops from around 85% to 35% but it can still work. Any time that you want to be sure it's best to give two doses at fourteen day intervals.

Thanks. Our discussion was about one of my heifers that was bred but palpated open at 45 days. She hasn't come back in heat and he was saying I could use Lute after 120 days and see if she cycled. I knew I had read about it not being effective after a certain period of time to abort, but didn't remember the time. I know, not the best method for a preg test, but we were just talking.

Take blood and send off to tested. They say effective after 30 days, but we find after 35 works best.

From a confirmed scientific standpoint, I don't recall at what stage you need to incorporate dexamethasone into the equation in order to abort a bred cow - could probably find that with a little bit of looking, but haven't done so. But here's a tale:

We're moving toward a Fall-calving herd. Still have about 16-20 in the Spring-calving group. Spring-calving 1st-calf heifers have always been difficult to get re-bred, so, if we like 'em and they don't breed back, we roll 'em to the Fall group.
Last year, I had 5 first-calvers. At preg-check in late September, I palpated 4 of the 5 as open; the last one was skinny as all get-out, and I said "If these other girls aren't bred, there is no way this one is."
Bred the other 4 early on in the Fall breeding season, but could never catch this heifer in heat - but she was still in poor body condition, despite weaning her calf. I know we CIDRed her and gave a shot of Estrumate in the synch protocol - may have hit her with another dose 14 days or so later, 'cause she didn't show any heat. Never did show heat, so we turned her out to the bull.
Guess I should have palpated her in September, 'cause she calved out with all the other Spring cows - a nice, normal heifer calf, despite one or two doses of prostaglandin around 5-6 months gestation. (See - even us 'professionals' do stupid stuff)
That moved her up off of the 'short list' to leave - she may not be much to look at, but at least she's fertile!
Just reinforced to me that the most common cause of a cow/heifer not cycling is...she's bred.

Latest posts