lutalyse - How Long ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Med

Reaction score
Gave a cow a shot of lutalyse this morning to be sure she is not bred. How long will it take her to abort if she is bred ?

My vet says if she is over 4-5 months , Lutalyse alone wont abort her. He said Dexamethasole and Lutalyse will abort her if she is farther along. But at that point , let her have the calf.

Lut will only work after about 8 days from breeding. And if she is short bred - you'll never know she "aborted" because she will just absorb the pregnancy. But, when she comes into heat, you'll know she's not bred.
As said above, if she's long bred, you need more than just a lut shot (usually!!)

She is nursing what I figure to be a 8 to 10 week old calf. I just purchased her and have no idea if she has been running with a bull to get rebred. I want to breed her to one of my bulls, so I figured I would give the shot and see what happens. I guess time will tell. Thanks for the replys !

I would have preg checked her prior to giving that, just in case... I saw a cow at my vet's clinic not long ago that had been given Lutalyse to abort a 2-3 month pregnancy - result? torn cervix and adhesion tags on the uterus. Cow was sterile, and they sent her to the auction.

The bottle of Lutalyse says you can use it up to 100 days of pregnancy - but the important words are the ones that follow - "in feedlot cattle". Obviously feedlot cows aren't going to be used for reproductive purposes so it doesn't matter what Lute does their repro tract.

I think Jeanne means lut will not abort a pregnancy if you administer it too early after the cow gets bred you have to wait at least 8 to 10 days following her pregancy for the lut to work otherwise she will remain pregnant

shutskytj":3cj2hmzm said:
I think Jeanne means lut will not abort a pregnancy if you administer it too early after the cow gets bred you have to wait at least 8 to 10 days following her pregancy for the lut to work otherwise she will remain pregnant
Correct. If you have a "mistake" and you want to make sure the heifer/cow isn't bred, you have to wait the 8-10 days before giving the lut shot for it to work.