lump on neck of my steer

Help Support CattleToday:

aussie_cowgirl

Reaction score
my steer got this lump on his neck that started off being hard and didnt feel attatched to his muscle but now its gotten a bit bigger and feels softer. He doesnt seem bothered by it and it doesnt hurt when i touch it. its on his shoulder/neck area and im pretty sure thats where he had his shots after he got grain poisoning. Any ideas what it is?!!!

Don't worry about it. The shots probally caused it. That happens quite often. It may go away on its own, some do some don't. Even if it don't it ain't nothing to worry about.

thats what i was hoping. yeh this little guy was supposed to be a led steer for the state show next week but got himself grain poisoning. because he was my poddy i couldnt kill him so i forked out the $437 AUS to have his gut emptied and found him a nice quiet home as a pet. Some cattle arent supposed to die. It would have been a shame because he was so quiet. I trust him 99%. hes been around special education kids and kindy kids and is so gentle with them. Thanks guys

Like all before me have said..... it likely is naught to worry about..........I am reading however that often when we give neck shots of vaccines, we inadvertently 'compromize' a local lymph node, and that will often swell up too............if you want to be sure it is not an abcess, you can lance it with a wide bore neddle, if puss comes out just keep squeezing, if it fills back up in a few days, you can then drain it with a bit wider slit at the bottom of the pocket, just make sure you use sterile proceedures, and rinse the inside of the pocket out with an appropriate antibacterial wash. Good Luck! :cboy:

Latest posts