Lowlines

Help Support CattleToday:

Schnurrbart

Reaction score
Anyone know anything about Lowlines? They are the original Aberdeen Angus from what I understand from Australia. Are they a fad or comsumer oriented? I have been thinking about using one of the bulls on Tarentaise heifers to help ensure no calving problems with the first calf although have only had one problem other a couple of breach births in 14 years.

If you've had that few problems in 14 years, why change? I know a couple of gentlemen in Alberta that raise Lowlines, and I think it's more that they just got attached to the little critters, rather than found some logic to it. They both tried direct marketing their beef, and after 2 years of that, they started using a Galloway bull on them to increase the carcass size. Kill and chill costs the same whether you take the butcher a 700lber, or a 1200lber.

purecountry":3bd9k80l said:
If you've had that few problems in 14 years, why change? I know a couple of gentlemen in Alberta that raise Lowlines, and I think it's more that they just got attached to the little critters, rather than found some logic to it. They both tried direct marketing their beef, and after 2 years of that, they started using a Galloway bull on them to increase the carcass size. Kill and chill costs the same whether you take the butcher a 700lber, or a 1200lber.

I understand that and am only considering it because I only have the one bull right now (Tarentaise) and he is the sire of all my heifers to be bred this spring and a friend across the river in KY has both Tarentaise and Lowlines and is using them as a terminal cross and also to sell calves. The prices they are bringing right now would make most people interested. Look at their website and check the sale prices at some of the big sales. I looked at some of his yesterday and the size that he has are about 6" shorter than purebred Tarentaise at same age so there really isn't that big a difference. A lot of the restaurants are going with smaller cuts of steak so it might just be a consideration in the coming years. I think that another appealing feature is that some people who might want to get into raising cattle on a small farm with a very limited amount of acreage will probably go for something like this. After all, they are pretty much what the original Angus breed was all about.

They're just Mini Angus. They were originally part of an experiment at Trangie Research Centre, with Hi-Lines(bigger than average Angus) and Lowlines(smaller than average). Lowlines seem to come out on top.

anyways on the questions that you asked.

They do have a fairly good market, not as good as the bigger breeds, but still do have a market. Personally I would recommend a Lowline bull to be put over heifers, they
'll almost always give you a smaller calf, which makes calving easier.

But, I would recommend a Lowline Bull to put over your heifers, if you are looking for a smaller bull to produce smaller calves.

(Hope that made sense :p )

Bek,

Most of the statistics on the Lowline's that we see have been misinterpreted.

They were the least efficient, usually coming out on the bottom.

There is a reason they were sold and the high line was kept.

Badlands

Bek":ddbhmeko said:
They're just Mini Angus. They were originally part of an experiment at Trangie Research Centre, with Hi-Lines(bigger than average Angus) and Lowlines(smaller than average). Lowlines seem to come out on top.

anyways on the questions that you asked.

They do have a fairly good market, not as good as the bigger breeds, but still do have a market. Personally I would recommend a Lowline bull to be put over heifers, they
'll almost always give you a smaller calf, which makes calving easier.

But, I would recommend a Lowline Bull to put over your heifers, if you are looking for a smaller bull to produce smaller calves.
(Hope that made sense :p )

It was my understanding that they were the pure strain of the Aberdeen Angus that went to Australia in the 20s and were kept intact at a research station. All lowlines have to be DNA tested before they can be registered to make sure that that original DNA is present. I do know that the old Angus cattle were short, stocky animals. I don't know much about them but since the goal is to make money and since even half-bloods sell very good, it would seem to make sense if you can accomplish two things at once--lower your risk of calving problems and have a good selling calf on top of it. I'm sure that the great market will turn into a good market and then an average market as the numbers grow so now might be the time to get in.

Beks right in her summation of the breed. They are very good for calving ease. They look like the Angus breed used to be back in the 60's,maybe just a bit smaller. I'm only going on photos from that time. But in the early 70's there were some smallish but very beefy Angus about. Amongst the small breeds they would be the only one that I would ever consider if I had to have a small breed.They have all the attributes of most Angus lines and they are beefy.
Colin

I'm trying to get this all figured out. Lo-line Angus are ok and have a place in the beef industry, but mini-Herefords, mini-Galloways, mini-etc. aren't. Is that right?

dun

dun":2xklaya2 said:
I'm trying to get this all figured out. Lo-line Angus are ok and have a place in the beef industry, but mini-Herefords, mini-Galloways, mini-etc. aren't. Is that right?

dun

I wouldn't have a clue about them but the Lowline is, from what I can gather from talking and reading, that they are the ORIGINAL Aberdeen Angus. Many people have taken especially small ones and bred them to get a small animal but the basic Lowline is supposedly the same animal as what the Angus used to be here before they started playing with the size. They test the DNA on each registered animal to make sure the genes are correct.

dun":3es820pk said:

dun

Dun, if you're cross-referencing to the chat that Bagtic and I had, I don't believe mini's are ok, and I don't have any more use for Lowlines. Not sure if that's what you're getting at, but there ya are.

OK, let me get this straight. Lowlines are FROM the original A. Angus. Current NORMAL Angus are from the original A.Angus. So they would ALL DNA test ANGUS.
From what I understand, lowlines are just from using the smallest bred to the smallest - Angus.
Sounds line miniatures to me using a different name.
Am I missing something?? I am not knowledgeable about this subject, looking for clarification.
There are MANY bulls WITHIN your breed or other breeds that should give you CALVING EASE.
Why would you take a normal size cow, and have her produce LESS POUNDS OF FINAL OFFSPRING than she is capable of??
You have to decide if you want to chase a "niche" market.
If your breed is giving you larger carcasses than you can sell :shock: , than maybe you need to look at a totally different breed. In my book, pounds = $$$ profit.
Even in the purebred business - half the crop is males and most of them go as steers. Steers only turn pounds into profit.

dun":75wrdos6 said:

dun

Of coures it's right. :p

I don't think real Low Lines are minatures. They're more like Dexters, a small breed.

I never have figured out the difference between a miniture and a really small version of some breed. If you breed stubby little Holsteins to more of the same pretty soon you have a ver y small Holstein, or a miniature Holstein. Seems to me to be the same difference. It isn;t as if they're dwardfs, just really really small.

dun

I've never understood how the small breeds (any of them) fit into the beef business, but someone must be making money with them.

Frankie":3v7oudtg said:
I've never understood how the small breeds (any of them) fit into the beef business, but someone must be making money with them.

I priced a pair of Hereford steers to train as oxen. The guy wanted $1500 each for them. 2 weeks later he had sold them. I couldn;t believe it, but it just goes to show.

dun

The difference between minature and small breed is that miniatures are a smaller version of another breed of cattle. Ie mini Herefords, mini Belties, mini Zebus... Dexters are not a smaller version of another breed, they are the breed that has been around a while in this size range regardless if they carry a chondro gene or not.