Lowlines

Help Support CattleToday:

City Guy":nrpho22g said:
I have read extensively about Lowlines and they seem to have a lot to offer. This is the first I've heard about temperament problems. I have also read that they tend to have poor feet and legs although great progress has been made in that area. Their strengths are more pounds of meat per acre, great marbling on grass alone, and huge rib eyes; they often have rib eyes as large as full size Angus. They are actually purer that mainstream Angus but not accepted by AAA. They are registered with American Lowline Registry and now by the newly formed "Midline Angus Association" which encourages matings with Native Origin Aberdeen Angus ( Pure Angus descendants from the original cattle from Scotland). Red Lowlines are accepted in the USA associations but not in the Australian one--separate registry there for reds.
Personally I would not cross them with anything. They are the perfect size to fill a yuppie's freezer and, if kept pure, can be sold as breeding stock to other direct marketers or hobby farmers. Also great for 4-H projects, etc.
In my honest opinion, lowlines do not have anything to offer other than being heifer bull, pet cattle industry and freezer beef for their personal. I has yet seen the evidence that they will have more beef pounds per acre than normal sized cattle, not mentioned that the cutability will be smaller. Lowlines are common in my area and I was shocked to see their actual mature size, our Angus yearlings are bigger than the lowline bulls.

Muddy, That is exactly what they should be used for. They can reduce frame size 2-3 points in one generation. They are a great size for home freezers and the quality of the meat is superb! Their size and temperament make them ideal for hobby and life-style farms. As far as more meat per acre, the association has figures to back up that claim, but I don't remember seeing any independent studies. Guess I can extrapolate with some hypotheticals.
Oh yeah---that no genetic defects thing--Pretty sure that is true, just like Angus used to be in the good old days. I think mainline Angus now have 15 possible genetic defects to dodge when selective breeding. Think how that shrinks the mating possibilities!!

Old_man_emu made some good points, however there were other importation after the original 85 from Canada in 1929. Bulls from USA, Scotland and Australia were added until 1963. The herd was closed in 1964.

Engler, Forgot to mention that Low Lines are NOT dwarfs! No dwarf genes anywhere in their DNA.

City Guy":1jgbpw7d said:
Engler, Forgot to mention that Low Lines are NOT dwarfs! No dwarf genes anywhere in their DNA.
They have dwarf genes now from crossbreeding with Dexters. The Lowline association is open herdbook and you can registering the crossbred as a percentage Lowline.

Muddy, was not aware, thanks for the info. Who would cross a Dexter with anything??? I am right, am I not, that the full bloods are not dwarfs?

City Guy":1zhkb287 said:
Muddy, was not aware, thanks for the info. Who would cross a Dexter with anything??? I am right, am I not, that the full bloods are not dwarfs?
Why not? Lowlines are miniature breed and so are Dexters, Dexter X Lowline crosses and Mini Hereford X Lowline crosses are common in my area. Fullblooded lowlines may not be dwarf but some purebred Lowlines are.

City Guy":cphr0q9f said:

Dexters are dual purpose cattle, Lowlines are like Angus, a pure beef type cattle, but smaller framed.

I saw Dexters at Iowa State Fair a couple of years ago and was impressed by their udders, but not much else. Was not aware that dwarfism had crept into the Lowlines--Sad. Another reason to import from Australia or just stick to full bloods.

Latest posts