Low birthweights

Help Support CattleToday:

LFF

Reaction score
I would like to ask about using low birth weight epd bulls. How have your calves birth weight been affected? I am seeing light birth weights calves from cows that had light birth weight themself, however the cows that had higher weights at birth still tend to birth heavier calves. A simple way of saying this is "calves seem to follow the cow instead of the bull on low birth weight". Anyone like to share their thoughts?

The heavier birth weight cows will have a heavier calf. But if you use a heavier birth weight bull you will see even heavier calves across the board.

If you are worried about guaranteed calving ease, use a Lowline bull. The calves will all be light at birth, but you should wean 450 - 550 lb. steer calves (I've weaned 600+ lb. 1/2 blood Lowlines), that is, if the cows are pretty decent. Lowline bulls are perfect for virgin heifers.

I'm biased, but I really like the Doc Holliday bull...

http://www.kylowline.com//Links/Herd_Sires.htm

BTW, I agree about cows effecting the birth weights, because they are 1/2 the equation. Half the genes that effect birth weight are inherited from the female. That's why if you want to play it safe on big birth weight heifers, a Lowline bull is the way to go.

LFF":14tr1wr9 said:
I would like to ask about using low birth weight epd bulls. How have your calves birth weight been affected? I am seeing light birth weights calves from cows that had light birth weight themself, however the cows that had higher weights at birth still tend to birth heavier calves. A simple way of saying this is "calves seem to follow the cow instead of the bull on low birth weight". Anyone like to share their thoughts?

The bull is only half the genetic makeup of the calf. And probably has even less influence on BW. Management of the cow affects the size of the calf, spring born calves are usually heavier than fall born calves. But using all the tools available to you (like EPDs) can help get a live calf on the ground.

Cows & environment have much more affect on BW than the bull. If the cow is going to produce heavy calves, they will be "lighter" using a low EPD BW bull compared to using a high EPD BW bull - "generally". There's no set rule when it comes to cows!

I have used only a couple of so-called low birthweight bulls and can see very little difference in the actual BW's of the calves these bulls sired, as compared to their comtemporary's on average.

I also saw smaller pelvic sizes from the heifers off these bulls. :shock:

MikeC":fauh5geo said:
I have used only a couple of so-called low birthweight bulls and can see very little difference in the actual BW's of the calves these bulls sired, as compared to their comtemporary's on average.

I also saw smaller pelvic sizes from the heifers off these bulls. :shock:
That's why, if you pick a Low BW bull, you need to make sure he has a HIGH MCE (maternal calving ease). Good MCE means he produces females that have the ability to handle a calf easily (larger pelvic areas).

Hi, we had 4 first calf heifers and big bulls. So we ordered semen from ABS (a low bw bull) and AI'd them because I really didn't want to pull a first calf heifer. We had a cow have a 120 lbs + calf (our scale stopped at 100) and it died. Next day I had a cow have a 30lb one, but at least it's still alive. So go with a low bw bull, it will save you in the end. :D

Birth weight epd s are not as accurate as calving ease epds. If you consider a number of calves such as 10 v.s. 1 or 2 the calving ease should be very predictable if you know both the cow and the bull's epds. Calving ease epds will make a producer more money than nearly anything if they are used correctly. Next to poor nutrition, calving problems and their resulting mortality of calf and cow, are the biggest problems most ranchers have. Use the epds when you buy bulls. Essential for heifers and very helpful for mature cows.

G lesamiz, DVM

:D Good replies! I really agree with those that said the cow and enviroment have a greater input on birth weights than the bull. The reply that said maternial calving ease needs to be used definitely hits the mark if you plan on retaining heifers.

I have a cow with and adj BW of 103 and she was bred to a 5.5 BW EPD Bull (Both Reg. Hereford). About this time last year the cow (heifer at the time) had her calf two weeks late and the calf's BW was 78 pounds. That's about as far as my experience goes... :D

CPL":8fc70rbe said:
I have a cow with and adj BW of 103 and she was bred to a 5.5 BW EPD Bull (Both Reg. Hereford). About this time last year the cow (heifer at the time) had her calf two weeks late and the calf's BW was 78 pounds. That's about as far as my experience goes... :D
Consider yourself lucky!

Another thing to take into consideration. One thing that we have noticed is when you calving. Calving in the hotter dryer weather here leads to smaller birthweights 65# average. Calving durring very early spring in our area leads to 80# average calves for us. Research had lead to discovering that the majority of growth of the calf is in the last months of gestation. Lots of new grass = bigger calves.
We are looking at calving all our cows durring early spring and calving any replacement heifers in summer.
Another thing to consider. We have talked to numerous breeders and they all say that the birthweights are most times lower on paper than they really are. It is easy to write in a number. We just had a registered angus born two days ago with a birthweight of 83# and that is what is on her papers. The dams last calf out of the same bull was born in summer and was 63#. So take it as it is. Maybe this will give you something to think about.
Take care.
Double R