Birthweights

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch":1fc8ja21 said:
Bright Raven":1fc8ja21 said:
Son of Butch":1fc8ja21 said:
Giganta implies female (female enemy of Wonder Woman in literature)
Giganto = male
Nouns do not show gender in Latin. The root gigas in Greek means giant in English.

There is merit to what you say but it does not fit the rules for gender when used as a noun. For example, regina means queen and ends in an (a).
They do in Spanish chico. :)
giganto = male
giganta = female

I will buy that. BTW: Spanish has stronger ties to Latin than English does. I told you, your comment has merit.

Bright Raven":2cocrlxu said:
Here is that Last Broadway Bull Calf. 290 day Gestation. So that added weight. Being a bull adds weight. He weighed 123 pounds.

His name is Giganta. :lol: I plan to keep him as a bull and break him for draft as an Oxen.

He has a lot of his Sire's look.
vhtg8w.jpg

wl97pw.jpg

166fwxs.jpg

Here is a calf Eleven. The Cowboy Cut daughter. Named her: Cowboy Queen. I register everything under THE (Total Herd Enrollment)
21dlmco.jpg

He has left a bit of a dent in her side Ron.

What a lot of people don't understand is that the BW that you record are not directly compared to those of other herds. The important comparison is how the different sires perform within your herd. The comparison to other sires in your herd is the link where they are compared to other herds resulting in the EPD figure.

Bright Raven":1cg14x9e said:
Son of Butch":1cg14x9e said:
Giganto = male

That might be unique to cartoons because Nouns do not show gender in Latin. Adjectives do but not nouns.

Your partially right, nouns do have gender, but are identified by adjectives and pronouns. I actually learned that in a church study of biblical translations, for free. :lol:
Hebrew goes even further with giving gender to any word, just to make it even more interesting. :help:

gigante would be masculine, gigantessa would be feminine.
Ought to be a fine calf, even if he has a girly name. :lol:

sim.-ang.king":3r7izl7t said:
Bright Raven":3r7izl7t said:
Son of Butch":3r7izl7t said:
Giganto = male

That might be unique to cartoons because Nouns do not show gender in Latin. Adjectives do but not nouns.

Your partially right, nouns do have gender, but are identified by adjectives and pronouns. I actually learned that in a church study of biblical translations, for free. :lol:
Hebrew goes even further with giving gender to any word, just to make it even more interesting. :help:

gigante would be masculine, gigantessa would be feminine.
Ought to be a fine calf, even if he has a girly name. :lol:

I think I will bow out. :help: Latin grammar gets complicated. Not just gender but case, person, number, tense, aspect, voice, and even mood.

The calf is not too bad for being 123 pounds. I am more impressed that momma got him out as easy as she did.

elkwc":2av6iry2 said:
Like has been mentioned I feel many factors enter into BW of the calf. I had a PB breeder tell that weighs every calf that during the drought when he fed 12 months of the year for 2 years that his BW's on calves from the same dams and sires was over 10 lbs heavier. He gave the exact amount and I can't remember it. Just remember it was just over 10 lbs. Another told me his was higher but couldn't remember how much. Another PB breeder has told me that calves some on wheat pasture every year that those calves will weigh more than those that he calves on grass. I've seen it in our operation also. When I started helping the lady I'm in a relationship with they had always ran their bred heifers on wheat and since we have started keeping them on grass we have seen a reduction in size. We only weigh a few once in a while so really can't say how much they actually weigh.Feel cold weather has an effect. But there is no doubt in my mind diet can have an significant effect. That is why I try to learn how a herd is managed. We bought a bull with an 86 lb actual BW and used him on heifers and he never got a big calf and we never pulled one. He was calved on wheat pasture. I feel his BW was inflated at least 5-10 lbs because of that.

So this has been something I get a different answer for almost every time. We do plant wheat from time to time. We will put our fall calves herd on as well as weaned spring calves. I've wanted to try adding gmy spring bred cows, but get some that say "are you trying to kill your cows with huge calves", and others that say "grandpa use to do it every year". I agree the cow has a lot to do with BW. So I talk to the 2 local vets. One says HELL NO, the other says get after it. My BW is more in the 80# avg, and my cows are big enough to handle more. But, I've just not pulled the trigger on it yet.

Coosh71":tazrpiy5 said:
elkwc":tazrpiy5 said:
Like has been mentioned I feel many factors enter into BW of the calf. I had a PB breeder tell that weighs every calf that during the drought when he fed 12 months of the year for 2 years that his BW's on calves from the same dams and sires was over 10 lbs heavier. He gave the exact amount and I can't remember it. Just remember it was just over 10 lbs. Another told me his was higher but couldn't remember how much. Another PB breeder has told me that calves some on wheat pasture every year that those calves will weigh more than those that he calves on grass. I've seen it in our operation also. When I started helping the lady I'm in a relationship with they had always ran their bred heifers on wheat and since we have started keeping them on grass we have seen a reduction in size. We only weigh a few once in a while so really can't say how much they actually weigh.Feel cold weather has an effect. But there is no doubt in my mind diet can have an significant effect. That is why I try to learn how a herd is managed. We bought a bull with an 86 lb actual BW and used him on heifers and he never got a big calf and we never pulled one. He was calved on wheat pasture. I feel his BW was inflated at least 5-10 lbs because of that.

So this has been something I get a different answer for almost every time. We do plant wheat from time to time. We will put our fall calves herd on as well as weaned spring calves. I've wanted to try adding gmy spring bred cows, but get some that say "are you trying to kill your cows with huge calves", and others that say "grandpa use to do it every year". I agree the cow has a lot to do with BW. So I talk to the 2 local vets. One says be nice NO, the other says get after it. My BW is more in the 80# avg, and my cows are big enough to handle more. But, I've just not pulled the trigger on it yet.

I do it every year. I have a lot of 90-100 lb calves, but my cows can handle that just fine. There are many new studies out showing nutrition in the 3rd trimester has less effect on calf birthweight than thought before

T&B, I appreciate you letting me know that you do it. Do you provide hay as well or do they have access to grass? Or is it straight wheat all winter? Thanks

T & B farms":3ujv5unc said:
I do it every year. I have a lot of 90-100 lb calves, but my cows can handle that just fine. There are many new studies out showing nutrition in the 3rd trimester has less effect on calf birthweight than thought before

I have not found any studies but I was informed that a study out of the University of Kentucky shows that nutrition does not have the effect on BW that was previously believed.

Bright Raven":2itp5u1p said:
T & B farms":2itp5u1p said:

I have not found any studies but I was informed that a study out of the University of Kentucky shows that nutrition does not have the effect on BW that was previously believed.
So why do you have BW issues with all your cows no matter how their bred? Common sense isn't common, quit over thinking things and you'll be way better off.

True Grit Farms":1ece1mn8 said:
Bright Raven":1ece1mn8 said:
T & B farms":1ece1mn8 said:

So why do you have BW issues with all your cows no matter how their bred? Common sense isn't common, quit over thinking things and you'll be way better off.

Your comprehension is not in gear this morning.

I tend to agree that nutrition has an impact. I was only providing what I heard.

Coosh71":d2bwjhq1 said:
T&B, I appreciate you letting me know that you do it. Do you provide hay as well or do they have access to grass? Or is it straight wheat all winter? Thanks

I no till into corn stalks, so they have a little dry matter they can munch on. If it gets muddy, I will lock them back in the pasture and feed hay until it dries out or freezes.

T & B farms":161my84m said:

While the general concept is that nutrition contributes to a higher BW, publications warn that limiting nutrition in the 3rd trimester is not recommended because it reduces the health of the calf.

In general, the factors that affect BW are:

1. Sex
2. Temperature
3. Nutrition
4. Genetics
5. Size of cow
6. Uterine Horn that is the site of implantation.

On cow size, a 1500 pound cow is expected to have a 105 pound calf. 7 % of Dam body weight.

Bright Raven":6ear6zfj said:
T & B farms":6ear6zfj said:

While the general concept is that nutrition contributes to a higher BW, publications warn that limiting nutrition in the 3rd trimester is not recommended because it reduces the health of the calf.

1. Sex
2. Temperature
3. Nutrition
4. Genetics
5. Size of cow
6. Uterine Horn that is site of implantation.

On cow size, a 1500 pound cow is expected to have a 105 pound calf. 7 % of Dam body weight.
Never heard of that last one.

True Grit Farms":2grkpxmq said:
Bright Raven":2grkpxmq said:
T & B farms":2grkpxmq said:

1. Sex
2. Temperature
3. Nutrition
4. Genetics
5. Size of cow
6. Uterine Horn that is site of implantation.

Never heard of that last one.

Horn Location: In general, the right horn of the uterus in beef cows is larger, in addition a greater percentage of the ovulations, that result in pregnancy come from the right ovary. Some research suggests that calves that are conceived in the right horn have greater birth weights due to the larger uterine horn.

I have never had any BW/Calving issues with mature cows on wheat pasture. And I've ran cows on wheat a lot. It is bred heifers on wheat where I've seen enough increase in calf size to cause calving issues. One issue I've seen with both easy doing cows, bulls and heifers is they will get too fat. I've seen lameness caused by them being extremely obese. In 2015 and 2016 we had lush wheat and more wheat than cows. We put everything on wheat in 015. After some issues with a few cows and one bull getting so overweight he developed a stifle I sorted off the extreme easy keepes in 016. No issues with any. The other concern I have is getting them too fat and causing fertility and udder issues. I have heard it debated for years. IMO it does have an negative effect on some and others it seems you can run on wheat pasture every year with no apparent negative effect. I do sort off the old cows with calves and move them to wheat pasture. They do well on it. Have some that have calved recently that will go if the wheat comes up and makes pasture. It was sowed today and supposed to be good rain the end of the week. If all goes well and no real cold hits we should be able to turn out on it by Thanksgiving. We always keep hay out free choice in feeders for anything we have on wheat. Most of our pastures in west central OK have some grass in the fields also. Here in extreme SW KS they don't. Unless there would happen to be milo stalks next to it you can use you have 100% wheat pasture. We always put out what I call a dry hay. Wheat, feed or grass hay. We never put out alfalfa bales for cattle on wheat pasture. We also run many of our weaned calves on wheat. This year we won't have as many as we sold some Friday and will sell some more before the wheat is ready as they will be too big to put on wheat. The calves did extremely well this year and are weaning big.