Lost one

Help Support CattleToday:

Sorry to hear that you lost one. I guess my average is about 1 every year and half. It just happens sometimes. Last four have been lightning ,cherry leaf, break through ice and drown, and a bull I had leased to neighbor that got metal. (Pushed up old fence rows.) Vet treated him day before he died said he was short timer. Most times I just play the cards I'm dealt.

bigbluegrass":399ec9o0 said:
chippie":399ec9o0 said:
Cast means that the cow lays down and gets stuck against something so that she can't roll onto her stomach to get back up.

Thanks chippie, that is kind of what I thought based on the comments, but I wanted to be sure. I have never heard the word used like that.

Hey there neighbor. Haven't seen you on here for a while. Hope my brother the judge is not giving you trouble up there in Pendleton County. Hee Hee. A guy near me who has about 500 head of cattle on 3 farms says this happens all the time due some of the terrain on his farms. But he does nothing to confirm it. I may be too much of a doubting Thomas or skeptic, but without some evidence of what a cow dies from, it is all speculation. Some farmers around me call everything bloat others call it cast, etc. None of them really do anything to confirm the cause of death. I understand that, it is expensive, time consuming and distasteful to determine the cause of death.

a 22 to the chest will do it cory...i had that happen a few yrs ago. never did see anything til the vet necropsied it. it had lungs full of blood. we found it as it was dying tho...

Well we have an answer on this one. She was shot with a large rifle in the chest from a road across one pasture and at the fenceline where she was. A dead end road runs parallel to the pastures. Easy clear shot. New Year's Eve night. Neighbor told me today they heard some rifle shots but blew it off. Probably punks shining deer.
Once she decays down to near nothing, ill dig the bullet out with the metal detector again for the cops. I doubt anything with happen about it though. At least it eases my mind about the guys running the adjoining pasture.

hooknline":3ujy7tra said:
Well we have an answer on this one. She was shot with a large rifle in the chest from a road across one pasture and at the fenceline where she was. A dead end road runs parallel to the pastures. Easy clear shot. New Year's Eve night. Neighbor told me today they heard some rifle shots but blew it off. Probably punks shining deer.
Once she decays down to near nothing, ill dig the bullet out with the metal detector again for the cops. I doubt anything with happen about it though. At least it eases my mind about the guys running the adjoining pasture.
Hook, that absolutely infuriates me. People like that should have the same done to them. Dam them to he$$. I sincerely wanted to think it was natural. Again, you have my sympathy and I am outraged. If someone shoots one of my cows and I catch them, I guess, I would be going to prison!!!

hooknline":19deeoqt said:
Not sure if the bullet will still be there.. coyote or vulture liable to eat it.
I had a similar situation last year happen to a 700lb steer. found him dead along side the road, with blood trailing out of his nose. bastards. never found out who did it.

:( Horrible people. That seems to happen around here during the holidays. Kids & stupid adults don't have anything better to do than drive around shooting at animals, signs and mailboxes. Probably drunk or stoned.

The shot was about 250 yds. Neighbor said multiple shots and there's a little incline to where she was hit so they just walked the shot up. She fell over on the side that she was hit and its right where the heart is, maybe a little low. No blood in her mouth or nose. She just dropped over dead.
There is a public hunting area about 5 miles away. All this is leading me to someone shining.
Just a complete waste. As if I wasn't jaded enough about people....

Hook I don't give the buzzards or coyotes nothing to eat. I like to dig a hole 4-6' deep and put them in it and cover them good.
I don't want to give anything a reason to try and eat one my cows. Their a bunch of dirt balls, I just hope they thought it was a deer,
and not just out riding around shooting cows. Need to get the Sheriff involved if he's not already. The FL Cattleman's Association useto post a reward for info leading to an arrest for stuff like this. They might be worth a call Hook.

highgrit":1a81kmka said:
Hook I don't give the buzzards or coyotes nothing to eat. I like to dig a hole 4-6' deep and put them in it and cover them good.
I don't want to give anything a reason to try and eat one my cows. Their a bunch of dirt balls, I just hope they thought it was a deer,
and not just out riding around shooting cows. Need to get the Sheriff involved if he's not already. The FL Cattleman's Association useto post a reward for info leading to an arrest for stuff like this. They might be worth a call Hook.
Id need a backhoe to dig where shes at. I'll make some phone calls. Thanks.
Sherriff is already informed.

how'd ya figure it out? vet found ours. same thing. we thought poachers or they thought it was a little deer. ours was only a 300lb steer. didnt make the loss any better tho

at least ya know. that helps alot

bigbluegrass":3v0xaa12 said:
chippie":3v0xaa12 said:
Cast means that the cow lays down and gets stuck against something so that she can't roll onto her stomach to get back up.

Thanks chippie, that is kind of what I thought based on the comments, but I wanted to be sure. I have never heard the word used like that.
Cast is a biblical term used in the bible a lot in comparing people to sheep as in " I was cast down" meaning without help i can't get up, sheep are probably more prone to that than cattle.
Sorry HNL for your loss.

dieselbeef":1u3dtoq1 said:
how'd ya figure it out? vet found ours. same thing. we thought poachers or they thought it was a little deer. ours was only a 300lb steer. didnt make the loss any better tho

at least ya know. that helps alot
Rolled her after running the metal detector and there was blood and a hole. Then drive to the most obvious spot for a shot and it was clear as day.

When I was kid. I mean small. Less than 10, I had two cows. Somebody shot one of them. It's been many years now, I would just like to know who did it to this day. Sorry for your loss.

I hate a thief, but I understand the concept. The kind of _ _ _ hole that tears up things, or kills for fun is a real piece of work.

Make sure your local FWC officer is informed as well. Someone shooting cows is also the type to poach wildlife. Just get them in the loop too. Really makes me mad, sorry to hear that. Had a whole pen of hogs killed and taken once. hope they fed a family in need and not just some a-hole's party roasters.

Take pictures of the bullet hole and cow and mark the location.

At school one of the pathology professors who works on the necropsy floor told a story about a sheriff who called because he had two dead cows that he suspected were shot. The owner couldn't bring them and the sheriff didn't have a day off for 3 weeks, and it was summer. Pathology folks said it was fine, just put them in a trailer and bring them when he could. Apparently those cows were *ripe* when they arrived -- the cows got cut in pieces and then the pieces put in plastic bags and xrayed until they found the bullets. The xray department wasn't real happy. LOL.

kenny thomas":1uiqo01q said:
A reward sign on the dead end road might keep it from happening again. Chances are they shot and never even went to see what they killed.
They didnt. No fences cut etc.
sheriff was supposed to notify FWC, but ill follow up with them tomorrow.

Hook I'd hide a trail camera in the area just in case they get the fever to come back. Sorry this happened. It's the sort of thing that makes me sit up at night. In the woods. In camo. Face paint. High powered rifle. Praying they come back.