Lost a Heifer Calve today

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
Last Tuesday July 28-2020 we noticed one of our calves was moving very slow with her head hung low, when she got up closer we saw that her nose was runny with thick snot, we pinned her and called the Vet. We made a 10:00 am appointment and loaded her up. Our Vet looked into her eyes and told us he suspected IRV. He pointed out the blue spots in her eyes and gave her two shots. He said she would be better within 24 hrs, and she was. We put her Mother in with her so she could nurse and she did. By Friday July 31st. she looked like she was going down hill so My wife called the vet to buy some antibiotics and he told her that was not necessary because the first shots would be good till Tuesday August 4-2000 and if she was not improving to call him and he would give her Antibiotics. Today is Saturday and this morning she was up and nursing, at 1:00 pm she was dead. All my cattle and calves were vaccinated and wormed on schedule. All my Cows and Calves are looking normal and well, so I am puzzled.
We have three neighbors that share fence lines with us and I know that two of them vaccinate on a regular schedule. The Neighbor that shares the other fence line has no Cattle, and was a Vet. He shared his practice with our current Vet. They have cared for our Cattle for fifteen years and have done a good job for us.
THE SUSPECTED PROBLEM IS. My Vet. passed two months ago and his pasture has been leased to a Cattle Buyer who is unknown to me. About every two weeks Cattle start appearing in the pasture. We have two Stockyards, one sells on Monday the other on Tuesday. The Cattle arrive on Tuesday and Wednesday and leave usually within a week, then it starts over the next Monday. These Cattle come up to my fence line to visit my Cattle and because they come from a Stockyard I believe some may be sick and spread their junk over the fence to my Cattle.
I will talk to the Vets widow, she is a good person, and see if she will install about two hundred feet of new fence about ten feet from our fence to keep the Stockyard Cattle from contacting with my Cattle. I am willing to share the expense of the fence. I may be wrong but I know of no other solution, what do you think I should do.

Politely tell her your concerns. Then as an alternative offer to rent the pasture.
Making a "dead zone" between neighbors will just create headaches later . It's that much less ground she can rent. Who's going to maintain the second fence? Why would she want to spend any extra money to solve a problem that you can't prove her renter caused?

We have Dr several calves in the last 2 weeks that were born here and no new cattle are anywhere close to other cattle. The heat and humidity and then daily storms seems to be getting to them. All had Inforce 3 at birth and Presponse at turnout. We have been battling pinkeye also on 2 farms

Erect an electric fence on your land to create a buffer zone and see if this stops the problem.

I gave my neighbor ranchers a heads up about my calve, that is the best I can do. If you don't own them you can't loose them.

Latest posts