Lost a friend to a snakebite

Help Support CattleToday:

That is so sad, Jo. I'm very sorry.
Impressive he was still mowing his lawn and tinkering with the mower at 82 though. Something to be said for a man who keeps at it like that.

Sorry to hear about him.
Tuesday I was checking some timber about 1 1/2 hour walk up on the mountain and the thought came to me what would happen if I got bitten. Nobody could have gotten to me in time even if they knew where I was. Lots of copperheads and rattlesnakes.

So sorry to hear that, so glad we don't have things like that here, only thoses blasted widows, I won't touch anything in the garden now without gloves and first scrutinizing it, if it is safe to I will remove gloves if needs be.

We don't have rattlers here but have scads of copperheads.

my wife has been bitten and two dogs.

Last dog that got bit was mousing and uncovered a snake. got her on the face and she swole up like a basketball. I took her to vet clinic cause I was afraid she would not be able to breathe. they loaded her with antibiotics and inflamatory stuff and she got better real quick.

Vet said if she had been a smaller dog that it probably would have killed her. Rose probably weighs 75 lbs.

I was doing something about two weeks ago at the cattle trough and looked down to see a snake tail disappearing into the spilled hay right at my boot. Not enough to see what kind but definitly not a black snake. I grabbed a pitch fork to try to uncover it and never did find it. Lot of junk and stuff in the barn.

we have the black widow and brown recluse spiders as well. I think the brown recluse is the most dangerous of all the venomous critters we have. that one will cost you body parts.

Sorry to hear. It's amazing that more people don't die from snakebite. I've come within ten feet of three and within striking distance of one in the past year before I saw them- and that's just the ones I know about.

pdfangus":345ipceb said:
We don't have rattlers here but have scads of copperheads.

my wife has been bitten and two dogs.

Last dog that got bit was mousing and uncovered a snake. got her on the face and she swole up like a basketball. I took her to vet clinic cause I was afraid she would not be able to breathe. they loaded her with antibiotics and inflamatory stuff and she got better real quick.

Vet said if she had been a smaller dog that it probably would have killed her. Rose probably weighs 75 lbs.

I was doing something about two weeks ago at the cattle trough and looked down to see a snake tail disappearing into the spilled hay right at my boot. Not enough to see what kind but definitly not a black snake. I grabbed a pitch fork to try to uncover it and never did find it. Lot of junk and stuff in the barn.

we have the black widow and brown recluse spiders as well. I think the brown recluse is the most dangerous of all the venomous critters we have. that one will cost you body parts.
ive seen a sloosh of black windows this year...dam things give me the all overs :cowboy:

ga.prime":36c4u9dk said:
Sorry to hear. It's amazing that more people don't die from snakebite. I've come within ten feet of three and within striking distance of one in the past year before I saw them- and that's just the ones I know about.
You are right. You can go a long time and not see them and not know they are around, and then... :help:
Caution is warranted. Some people with no experience with such things do not understand the difference between caution and fear. Whatever you call it you had better have it in snake territory.

chrisy":d1nb2gq6 said:
So sorry to hear that, so glad we don't have things like that here, only thoses blasted widows, I won't touch anything in the garden now without gloves and first scrutinizing it, if it is safe to I will remove gloves if needs be.
You are afraid :lol: of those little spiders?
I don't think they will harm you if you don't invade their space.
You actually wear gloves when you go in the garden? Seems like it would be pretty awkward to pick a bushel of beans with gloved hands.Why are you so afraid? Can't you just live in harmony with these little creatures? Don't you think they have their place on earth :?:

Ryder":1jz9gzwh said:
chrisy":1jz9gzwh said:
You are afraid :lol: of those little spiders?
I don't think they will harm you if you don't invade their space.
You actually wear gloves when you go in the garden? Seems like it would be pretty awkward to pick a bushel of beans with gloved hands.Why are you so afraid? Can't you just live in harmony with these little creatures? Don't you think they have their place on earth :?:
After last summer and that little critter bit me and layed me up for almost the whole summer, with clots in the legs and swellings, I am not taking anymore chances. It is easy to pick beans with garden gloves they fit quite snug, I would rather come face to face with a snake than a spider. As almost all the snakes we have in this Country are none venomous, and the only one that is lives no-where near I am. and no I don't think they have any place on the planet, just how you feel about snakes.

Chrisy, i think i can fix you up with a nice box of Copperheads, i got plenty to share, put them in your garden and you'll forget about the little spiders. :lol2: :lol2:

curtis":1esufazr said:
Chrisy, i think i can fix you up with a nice box of Copperheads, i got plenty to share, put them in your garden and you'll forget about the little spiders. :lol2: :lol2:
There'd last about a week if their lucky in our climate, and food would be in poor supply. The closest we have to this snake is the Adder a member of the Viper family, it is only about 2ft long and is not much of a threat to adults. and snakes don't bother me, usually if you leave them alone their leave you alone. But those horrid little 8 legged critters just seem to jump at you for nothing. found this story about a cat interesting.
http://www.neatorama.com/2007/12/12/jel ... ats-death/

Chrisy you could have few of our browns and blacks too. Shifted a few posts the other day that were lying on the ground. Found a young Brown snake curled up beneath one of them. He was about a foot long. He was very sluggish because it's not snake time over here. He got a bit stirred up when I touched him with a rake. Darned thing wriggled of beneath the grass. Small browns are as venomous as an adult. Our snake repellers have worked well this past summer.Kept two big browns out of the house yard.

Latest posts