Lost a Calf yesterday

Help Support CattleToday:

melking

Reaction score
To some on here it is possibly a normal occurrence but to me with my very small operation it really hurts. No apparent reason for her dying, she just laid down under a tree like she was sleeping and died. What are some of the things that can happen to cows. She had no trauma from predators, and no other apparent problems.

She could have had a bad heart if she died suddenly. Humans are not the only species that die of heart problems.

Melking I know you said you would be clearing some land around you.. Any chance she could have gotten ahold of some wild cherry leaves?

Hardware disease?.. who knows.. I've never lost a yearling (cross fingers).. I did lose a heifer once when she choked on a potato.

Sorry about the loss!

skyhightree1":76io61pj said:
Melking I know you said you would be clearing some land around you.. Any chance she could have gotten ahold of some wild cherry leaves?

I do not know Sky, I am not familiar with wild cherry but I will look it up.

Sorry you lost one, especially at that age.

Thoughts that come to my mind -------- eating something toxic like the cherry leaves that sky mentioned, yew, various other toxic plants. Lightning strike, or even a heart issue as jltrent mentioned a possible congenital condition that wasn't obvious. Aneurysim.

If you feel inclined to do some investigating, Milkmaid wrote up a fairly detailed post about doing on-the-farm necropsy. If you look at the top of the page (I believe its Health and Nutrition) its a "sticky" and you'll find it there.

Really sorry to hear about your loss Melking.
I really can't add any other ideas that have not been mentioned.
It is hard to loose one. Especially when you don't know why.

Just one more thought. Do you have Anaplasmosis in your area?

We are small as well and a loss is emotional as well effects the bottom line. Fella was just here working on our chimney that raises British Highlands. He said he's lost 3 6+ month calves this last month to a bacterial infection. No indication they were sick, just found them dead. His vet did a post mortem and that is what he found...said he had a neighbor lose a couple too.

So sorry... i hate that part of the business.
We lost a yearling heifer a couple years ago. She bloated. Thats pretty easy to diagnose. We have a friend who's lost several new calves to blackleg...She lost 3, when the 4th died she took it to the vet. So it was vet diagnosed. Kind of hard to prevent it if they are getting it before they are old enough to vaccinate.

melking":1wnvhkvl said:
M.Magis":1wnvhkvl said:

Just at 1 year not bred yet obviously

Wow being a yearling could be a host of problems.
Without an autopsy you will never know I tend to go with
genetic defect or toxic poisoning. But I wouldn't have a clue
about the toxic poisoning not knowing your plants.
Prussic Acid is about as fast and toxic as it gets this may help your investigation .
http://beef.osu.edu/library/prussic.html

I had a cow butt one in the side. She seemed fine for a few days. Went to the pasture and she was dead. 15 months old. I sold that cow.

if you run cattle your going to loose some sooner or later.we lost 2 cows one right after the other.1 was a C section and she was down.the other just went down for no known reason.

Latest posts