Loose stool.

Help Support CattleToday:

oscar p

Reaction score
Bought a starved to death long horn cow,3 weeks ago. 3 months bred, for $375. Brought her home dewormed her heavy. Gave her a shot of Nuflor. Turned her out on a 3 acre pasture. She didn't look up for an hour. Anyway, she can crap through a screen door. Green water. I know the grass is the cause of some of it. Is their something else I need to give her? She has a round roll of hay and I feed her all grain feed once a day, on top of the green grass. She is gaining weight. What do you think?

Sounds to me if she's gaining weight then all the solids are obviously sticking to her bones. What's the patties look like or is she watering the pasture like a leprechaun?

No expert here, but if she was in my pasture with ears up and clear eyes doing that, I would be just keeping an eye on her. I wouldn't stand behind any of my cows on fresh green pasture. Any mineral out for her?

You can add some of the Probios powder to her grain. But I don't think that I would give her very much grain just yet. I hope that you started real slow with small amounts. The grain will also give her the squirts.
I just hope you aren't dealing with Johnes.......

She is alert, ears up, nose wet. nothing at all wrong with her appitite. (?spelling) She comes running when I call her.She has mineral salt. No patties, She is watering the pasture.So you think, I should take the feed way. I hope its not johns either.

I too would be concerned about Johnes, but generally with Johnes they won't gain weight.

It sounds like she went from zero nutrition to an all-you-can-eat salad bar w/dessert and that her digestive system hasn't adjusted to the nutritional changes yet.

No I don't think that you "should take her feed away." But I certainly would not give her a bunch of grain all at once. You need to work that up slowly.
Johnes cattle can wax and wain for a long time before they crash. Not saying that is what it is. It is most likely the change in feed.

If you have her on a water trough you can mix in electrolytes. Make sure she has good minerals not just a trace mineral salt block. Go easy with the feed and maybe split it up into two feedings. I imagine your major problem is she is on higher protein food.

It's not good policy to turn a starved cow right onto lush green. I usually give them hay until their laying around chewing their cud. Then I'll turn in.
Your already past that. If she acts ok , has appetite, and is gaining weight. I'd bet she's headed for perfect. I'd keep hay available , along with a good high mag. Mineral. My opinion.

fenceman":hnbavw92 said:
It's not good policy to turn a starved cow right onto lush green. I usually give them hay until their laying around chewing their cud. Then I'll turn in.
Your already past that. If she acts ok , has appetite, and is gaining weight. I'd bet she's headed for perfect. I'd keep hay available , along with a good high mag. Mineral. My opinion.
All true....remove the grain as well. She should do great on the hay and grass. Just needs time.

Latest posts