Loose stool

Help Support CattleToday:

Tomcolvin

Reaction score
I have a cow that has had loose stool for sometime now. It's not watery loose but like mud consistency but blackish looking. I have pellet wormed her with safe guard pellets but don't think it changed things much. She doesn't act like it bothers her and has gained weight instead of loosing weight. She is about 4 years old and has calves before. At one time the vet told me to take away the protein tubs they where on and I did but it changed nothing with her. It not like the scours, it's just not solid type stool like the other cows. More like dark chocolate pie consistency. She is on pasture grass and a little hay and twice a week some cow pellets to keep her coming to the feed lot so I can catch her when needed. She just keeps a dirty backend from her tail switching back and to. Any ideas what I'm up against here?

Some cows have loose feces. A dark color can be a concern as it might indicate internal bleeding. She is doing well. If the color becomes more pronounced, I would consult a vet.

Here is a rear end shot, I think she is also pregnant. Would invermetin be ok to give?