Loose Bales

Help Support CattleToday:

BrianL

Reaction score
I have a MF 1440 round baler (red Vermeer). It is over 20 years old and we are having a problem with it making real loose bales. The lever to make tight bales is in the correct position. I was wondering what I could do to tighten it up. Should I shorten the belts or even replace them? Is there a way to tighten the springs? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Brian,
Did you check your gearbox to see if it was installed correctly?
If you shorten the belts you will not start a bale. If all your belts were laced back to factory specs 436" then the baler will make better bales.

Also helps to open up the chamber (stretching out the springs) and blow them out with compressed air.

cfpinz

ironpeddler":18lgiaxj said:
Brian,
If you shorten the belts you will not start a bale. If all your belts were laced back to factory specs 436" then the baler will make better bales.
I think the gearbox is installed correctly as it used to make good bales, but in recent years the bales have become quite loose. I was thinking maybe the belts have streched? Also ironpeddler can you tell me what Vermeer model a MF 1440 corresponds to?

BrianL":2kfo91bq said:
ironpeddler":2kfo91bq said:
Brian,
I think the gearbox is installed correctly as it used to make good bales, but in recent years the bales have become quite loose. I was thinking maybe the belts have streched? Also ironpeddler can you tell me what Vermeer model a MF 1440 corresponds to?
Realize this year in East TN is drought conditions. To start a bale and bale in drought conditions, you will get you best results if decrease your PTO rpm's and increase your ground speed. Your baler can actually pulverize a powder dry crop, if you are going too slow, before it gets into the bale . Remember the bigger the windrow the better the bale.
MF 1440 = 504 G

Thanks Ironpeddler! The inside of the bale is tight but the outside is very loose. I think we may be putting too much in a bale also.

BrianL":658a9rc4 said:
Thanks Ironpeddler! The inside of the bale is tight but the outside is very loose. I think we may be putting too much in a bale also.

I have a CIH baler and had the same problem year before last. I checked the belt lenght and was within 3/8" of what the manual called for.

I ordered a roll of 3m traction tape from Shoup parts and put one wrap around the rubber drive roller for each belt. It took care of the problem. As the belts get older they seem to get harder and was slipping on the rubber roller just enough to make the bale loose on the last 4-5 layers. The traction tape stopped that slippage enough to put up good bales again. I'll have to replace the belts one day but will keep running them as long as that tape works. I was impressed with the tape.

rmcva":3mpgsv5t said:
BrianL":3mpgsv5t said:

I have a CIH baler and had the same problem year before last. I checked the belt lenght and was within 3/8" of what the manual called for.

I ordered a roll of 3m traction tape from Shoup parts and put one wrap around the rubber drive roller for each belt. It took care of the problem. As the belts get older they seem to get harder and was slipping on the rubber roller just enough to make the bale loose on the last 4-5 layers. The traction tape stopped that slippage enough to put up good bales again. I'll have to replace the belts one day but will keep running them as long as that tape works. I was impressed with the tape.
The C/IH baler makes a bale differently that the Vermeer. The C/IH needs the traction on the belts to turn the bale and help feed the hay into the bale. The F, G & H Vermeer balers have a 16" bottom drum roller that turns the bale. The Vermeer balers belts need only to be uniform and close to the factory specs.
Most often loose bales occur from not feeding hay in the corners of the baler and feeding too much hay in the center of the bale. It is easier to do when you hay is lighter because of smaller windrows.