• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

breaking loose muffler bolts?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky_P

Well-known member
Joined
May 21, 2009
Messages
3,211
Reaction score
78
Location
Western KY
Grr. Limb broke the exhaust pipe loose from the muffler on the Kubota M9000 on Saturday, inside the cowling, right where it makes a 90-degree turn.
If I can get the muffler off (looks like new!), I'm pretty sure the guys at the local exhaust/radiator shop can weld the exhaust pipe back on. Four 14mm bolts holding it to the exhaust manifold. I can't budge them. Been soaking them with PB Blaster for lack of any other ideas on my part.

Got any tips for breaking those babies loose without rounding them off or twisting the bolt off?
 

Bigfoot

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 16, 2012
Messages
12,826
Reaction score
39
Location
Kentucky
Mix some brake fluid, and acetone, and use that as your lubricant. Yes that concoction a lot. Used it on an old Dearborn implement this morning.
 

ALACOWMAN

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 8, 2005
Messages
16,917
Reaction score
11
Location
Alabama the Beautiful
Lucky_P":3jlhb46c said:
Grr. Limb broke the exhaust pipe loose from the muffler on the Kubota M9000 on Saturday, inside the cowling, right where it makes a 90-degree turn.
If I can get the muffler off (looks like new!), I'm pretty sure the guys at the local exhaust/radiator shop can weld the exhaust pipe back on. Four 14mm bolts holding it to the exhaust manifold. I can't budge them. Been soaking them with PB Blaster for lack of any other ideas on my part.

Got any tips for breaking those babies loose without rounding them off or twisting the bolt off?
Is it the muffler flange, your talking about?? Sometimes they are put on with locktite.. Have taken a handheld propane torch and heated them...if they move, work the nut back and forth and use the pb on them a little as you go
 

ClodHopper37869

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 14, 2017
Messages
114
Reaction score
4
Location
NE TN 37869
Bigfoot":zv7oyc1v said:
Mix some brake fluid, and acetone, and use that as your lubricant. Yes that concoction a lot. Used it on an old Dearborn implement this morning.

I've used ATF & acetone, does BF work better, :???:
 

skyhightree1

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 9, 2009
Messages
19,770
Reaction score
0
Location
Free Rent ,VA
Lucky_P":gr4q03fz said:
Grr. Limb broke the exhaust pipe loose from the muffler on the Kubota M9000 on Saturday, inside the cowling, right where it makes a 90-degree turn.
If I can get the muffler off (looks like new!), I'm pretty sure the guys at the local exhaust/radiator shop can weld the exhaust pipe back on. Four 14mm bolts holding it to the exhaust manifold. I can't budge them. Been soaking them with PB Blaster for lack of any other ideas on my part.

Got any tips for breaking those babies loose without rounding them off or twisting the bolt off?

Is the area big enough for an impact
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
1
Location
MO Ozarks
I use a nut splitter for those kind of deals.
 

Bigfoot

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 16, 2012
Messages
12,826
Reaction score
39
Location
Kentucky
ClodHopper37869":2zbbmm56 said:
Bigfoot":2zbbmm56 said:
Mix some brake fluid, and acetone, and use that as your lubricant. Yes that concoction a lot. Used it on an old Dearborn implement this morning.

I've used ATF & acetone, does BF work better, :???:

Another fine example of me thinking one thing, and saying something else. Yes, transmission fluid is what I use.
 

Supa Dexta

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 22, 2014
Messages
2,111
Reaction score
0
Location
Eastern Canada
Run the tractor up to temperature for a while first, also try to tighten them a touch and then back them off, back and forth til you get them moving. An impact, or giving a good fitting closed end wrench a whack with a hammer may break them loose to start also.
 

chevytaHOE5674

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 11, 2012
Messages
781
Reaction score
7
Location
Western UP, Mi
My best luck has been heating the bolts with the torch and hitting them with the impact if possible. Often times the heads or nuts twist off, then I usually have better luck welding a washer and nut to the broken off stud and backing it out.
 

MtnCows93

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 13, 2017
Messages
335
Reaction score
1
Location
Foothills of NC
heat the nuts up and stick a candle up to them, the wax will melt and wick up into the threads. it helps if you can heat the back of the nut up so it will pull the wax into the threads farther.
 

ALACOWMAN

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 8, 2005
Messages
16,917
Reaction score
11
Location
Alabama the Beautiful
MtnCows93":2oem4ypr said:
heat the nuts up and stick a candle up to them, the wax will melt and wick up into the threads. it helps if you can heat the back of the nut up so it will pull the wax into the threads farther.

first time I've ever heard of that trick,,interesting...
 

ALACOWMAN

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 8, 2005
Messages
16,917
Reaction score
11
Location
Alabama the Beautiful
callmefence":bcibr5cp said:
Cuss , throw tools and bang around yelling like a idiot.
That's what I did when was a mech. At the dealer ships... It had a bad effect on my disposition to...every GM engineer and designer was on my list.. :cowboy:
 

Latest posts

Top