breaking loose muffler bolts?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky_P

Reaction score
Grr. Limb broke the exhaust pipe loose from the muffler on the Kubota M9000 on Saturday, inside the cowling, right where it makes a 90-degree turn.
If I can get the muffler off (looks like new!), I'm pretty sure the guys at the local exhaust/radiator shop can weld the exhaust pipe back on. Four 14mm bolts holding it to the exhaust manifold. I can't budge them. Been soaking them with PB Blaster for lack of any other ideas on my part.

Got any tips for breaking those babies loose without rounding them off or twisting the bolt off?

Mix some brake fluid, and acetone, and use that as your lubricant. Yes that concoction a lot. Used it on an old Dearborn implement this morning.

Lucky_P":3jlhb46c said:
Grr. Limb broke the exhaust pipe loose from the muffler on the Kubota M9000 on Saturday, inside the cowling, right where it makes a 90-degree turn.
If I can get the muffler off (looks like new!), I'm pretty sure the guys at the local exhaust/radiator shop can weld the exhaust pipe back on. Four 14mm bolts holding it to the exhaust manifold. I can't budge them. Been soaking them with PB Blaster for lack of any other ideas on my part.

Got any tips for breaking those babies loose without rounding them off or twisting the bolt off?
Is it the muffler flange, your talking about?? Sometimes they are put on with locktite.. Have taken a handheld propane torch and heated them...if they move, work the nut back and forth and use the pb on them a little as you go

Bigfoot":zv7oyc1v said:
Mix some brake fluid, and acetone, and use that as your lubricant. Yes that concoction a lot. Used it on an old Dearborn implement this morning.

I've used ATF & acetone, does BF work better, :???:

Lucky_P":gr4q03fz said:

Is the area big enough for an impact

ClodHopper37869":2zbbmm56 said:
Bigfoot":2zbbmm56 said:

I've used ATF & acetone, does BF work better, :???:

Another fine example of me thinking one thing, and saying something else. Yes, transmission fluid is what I use.

Run the tractor up to temperature for a while first, also try to tighten them a touch and then back them off, back and forth til you get them moving. An impact, or giving a good fitting closed end wrench a whack with a hammer may break them loose to start also.

My best luck has been heating the bolts with the torch and hitting them with the impact if possible. Often times the heads or nuts twist off, then I usually have better luck welding a washer and nut to the broken off stud and backing it out.

heat the nuts up and stick a candle up to them, the wax will melt and wick up into the threads. it helps if you can heat the back of the nut up so it will pull the wax into the threads farther.

MtnCows93":2oem4ypr said:
heat the nuts up and stick a candle up to them, the wax will melt and wick up into the threads. it helps if you can heat the back of the nut up so it will pull the wax into the threads farther.

first time I've ever heard of that trick,,interesting...

callmefence":bcibr5cp said:
Cuss , throw tools and bang around yelling like a idiot.
That's what I did when was a mech. At the dealer ships... It had a bad effect on my disposition to...every GM engineer and designer was on my list.. :cowboy:

Latest posts