How many round bales per hour can you make ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Vermeer 604 Pro, 10-35 depending on windrow size and crop. 50x48 silage and 60x48 dry.

The current record is somewhere around 150 bales per hour last I knew.

Most of our fields are pretty rough, and silage takes a lot of horsepower to choke down.

Net wrap is a whole lot faster so to compare apples to apples either twine wrap or net wrap. Windrow size means a lot also. A lot of factors in play besides the baler. Anybody pushing it in good hay ought to get 15-20 and hour with twine and maybe 5-10 more with net. I am sure there are extremes to this, but I don't like to abuse equipment so I set a good pace and go.

12 bales per hour average today because of a 4 inch peice of wood got between a belt and roller. We had to hook a strap to the truck just to unwrap the belt off of itself...then the main chain popped off. Deere 435 baler

I average around 16 4x5 rolls with my Vermeer 554 xl. The baler is capable of doing more but with the steep ground we have my tractor doesn't have the power to pull it much faster.

Vermeer 604M pulled with a NH 8260, making 60" bales with 3 wraps of net I can do low 30's per hour in good hay running 6 to 7 mph. The tractor and baler are capable of more, but I really don't like to work on sh*t.

jltrent said:
Net wrap is a whole lot faster so to compare apples to apples either twine wrap or net wrap. Windrow size means a lot also. A lot of factors in play besides the baler. Anybody pushing it in good hay ought to get 15-20 and hour with twine and maybe 5-10 more with net. I am sure there are extremes to this, but I don't like to abuse equipment so I set a good pace and go.

Our old Claas 46 4x4 fixed chamber twine tie actually ties and dumps only 10-12 seconds slower than any netwrap baler I've used, mostly because of its fast tailgate cycle I guess....Amounts to only a couple more an hour of the same size for the netwrap.

The Claas can do about 26 4x4 rotocut baleage bales an hour, and more like 30 an hour of dry hay and rotocut turned off. Usually baling 3.5-4 MPH with nice big windrows.

Agree with lots of contributing factors, Small awkward fields or a poor raking job can sure slow you down...

I guess another big factor in time would be:

Do you have to slow down to start the core or can you just go right into it full baling speed? A guy I know with a CLASS can go right into them not slowing to start the core.. he can really pump the bales out. seems starting the core is the time taker for me.

Both my baler and myself are wore out so we go slow. I've never made 15 rolls per hour even trying to haul butt. Around here the big time straw guy's run MF- Hesston balers behind JD tractors.

Using net wrap I've been under a bale a minute in good conditions (5x6 bales), but its hard to keep that average up. And I quit using wrap. I'm having a good day if I can average 30 per hour.
I don't slow down to start the core, as soon as the gate is latched it's straight to full baling speed, which is whatever I can sit in the tractor comfortably.

Silver said:
Using net wrap I've been under a bale a minute in good conditions (5x6 bales), but its hard to keep that average up. And I quit using wrap. I'm having a good day if I can average 30 per hour.
I don't slow down to start the core, as soon as the gate is latched it's straight to full baling speed, which is whatever I can sit in the tractor comfortably.

I still ease into the first 5' or so of windrow just out of habit, but after having put new belts and getting my M dialed in I've been getting pretty cocky. I finished up a field of 150 or so rolls about an hour before dark one night a month or so ago and there was one bale that had the outer 1' or so of net ripped up pretty good for some reason, so I took the bale truck and unrolled it. Came out a lot thicker than a normal windrow and I never bothered to rake it, just hit it wide open with the baler to see how it would handle it. An hour or so of cussing and laying under the baler later, I determined that wasn't the best idea I've ever had.

cfpinz said:
Silver said:

I still ease into the first 5' or so of windrow just out of habit, but after having put new belts and getting my M dialed in I've been getting pretty cocky. I finished up a field of 150 or so rolls about an hour before dark one night a month or so ago and there was one bale that had the outer 1' or so of net ripped up pretty good for some reason, so I took the bale truck and unrolled it. Came out a lot thicker than a normal windrow and I never bothered to rake it, just hit it wide open with the baler to see how it would handle it. An hour or so of cussing and laying under the baler later, I determined that wasn't the best idea I've ever had. :lol:
Been there and in the time of it eat a lot of dust and got my eyes full.

i still run a old john deere 535 5x6 baler . i tie with string and can roll 28 a hour in good hay.

Silver said:

what baler are you runnin

10 to 15 per hour with an old 375 Deere making 5x4 bales. This is figuring that in most of my fields I spend as much time hunting a flat spot as bailing.

i spend 30 minutes per hour unclogging the baler. i need to just spend the money on something decent. my hands are getting so bad i can't hardly do it anymore. between construction and farming my body is about toast already

I have learned a good 2500$ lesson this year, that I already learned before. Go slow and let the hay take care of itself. I sure could have done without a repeat, but I'm stupid or stubborn, don't know which, but I do know I won't relearn that.

Latest posts