breaking loose muffler bolts?

Help Support CattleToday:

No type of lubricant will do any good if there aren't any exposed threads. Spraying anything on a bolt head just makes it slippery and more likely to round. Even then I find their usefulness limited.

Best thing you can do is heat and impact. Use a hammer and a wrench if you have to.

Thanks, all.
Got 'em broke loose just with a day's soaking with PB Blaster and a box-end wrench. Must not have been too bad.
But... the other tips may come in handy in the very near future.

ALACOWMAN":nwz5mm9m said:
Y'all scare me with the impacts..you don't have the 'Feel' you need too... Seen a wheel barrel full of broken bolts in the past,, on acount of em

Some impacts are a lot better than others when it comes to trigger feel. Get a good one and you can give as much or as little as you want, and align the socket so you can see the letters move if the bolt turns one way or the other.

In my experience the shock of an impact wrench is much better at breaking things loose than a long steady pull of a breaker bar or similar.

My relationship with impacts is of the "cold dead hands" variety.

ALACOWMAN":3khvn18c said:
callmefence":3khvn18c said:
Cuss , throw tools and bang around yelling like a idiot.
That's what I did when was a mech. At the dealer ships... It had a bad effect on my disposition to...every GM engineer and designer was on my list.. :cowboy:
Me too!

Nesikep":1gtgfmsa said:
ALACOWMAN":1gtgfmsa said:
callmefence":1gtgfmsa said:
Cuss , throw tools and bang around yelling like a idiot.
That's what I did when was a mech. At the dealer ships... It had a bad effect on my disposition to...every GM engineer and designer was on my list.. :cowboy:
Me too!
Cadillac...hated working on those glorified boat anchors....

Latest posts