Breaking tractor beads

Help Support CattleToday:

greggy

Reaction score
So I had a tyre explode, could not get just tyre, so I found some tyres and rims, they are 28 inch.......

Tractor sort of stuck away from air, but I can deal with that one way or another....anyways, I got one of the replacement tyres off by driving my truck on an breaking bead, it did not let go easy and they were not long on the rims, which are clean.

I have some 24 inch tyre irons, some old breaker bars, sledge hammer and some long 8 ft digging bars, anyways, I am thinking is it going to be better taking the blown tyre off while rim is still on tractor ?

Of course it is all fouled up with dung etc, so I am going to blast it clean if I can, but in reality, it does not matter if I damage tyre or tube, hole is larger than a fist, but want it clean when going on, and that is where doing it on the ground may be a bugger, the new one is already full of gunk from me wrestling it even though I put pallets down first.....I have decided to do res in daylight tomorrow, as I do not want sand etc inside rim pressing on tube...

So..

What would you do ?

I am not going to buy more tools, but I do have things like rubber mallets, dead weight mallets, soft face mallets, I have tree cutting wedges in steel and plastic, mattocks, bars, claw hammers etc..

How would you deal with the tyre on the rim that is blown, do it on there using bars and sledge, or just take it off and get it somewhere onto concrete and with air close by.... I found it a bugger getting the rim off on teh ground, as said, levers are 24 inch and wheel is 28, so no standing on one while working the other, I could use a ground working bar though I guess.....

A steel wedge and sledge hammer always works for me. You may have to drive the wedge in a few places, but it will let go.

The other side is old too, but prob serviceable so saleable or a spare, so I need a plan for that, albeit no rush and once the first done I can drive to concrete and air...

jltrent said:
A steel wedge and sledge hammer always works for me. You may have to drive the wedge in a few places, but it will let go.

Would a steel wedge like a log splitting wedge work ok....or damage a good tyre ?

Silver said:
I find it easiest to remove the wheel and take it somewhere handy to work on.

I would have too roll a tyre and a flat tyre and rim about 50m to get to a better spot....and have to carry a jack that distance too....

May try the wedge I have and hammer on the old one to see how it goes, as will prob be easier taking off there, if too hard, I will roll them and use my ute to break bead again 😀

If I can do it in place, I can clean rim and new tyre before putting back on.

Is the tractor stuck? Since the tire is already ruined I would consider driving it the 50m or so to better ground. The rim is already dirty. Assuming the ground isn't boulder strewn.

greggy said:
jltrent said:

Would a steel wedge like a log splitting wedge work ok....or damage a good tyre ?
I have never damaged a tire using a steel wood splitting wedge yet. We had 8 hay wagons at one time (enough to load a 1000 square bales and unload the next morning while it was cool), three corn gravity wagons, 3 silage wagons and lots of other equipment and I could remove a tire pretty quick and replace when needed. A few of them I about lost my religion getting off, but 20 miles round trip to the nearest service station and wasting a half day I got them fixed.

U be careful sir, whatever u do.
That wedge and hammer can slip and break a leg pretty easy. We use one of these. And it takes a bit of skill. They can break a leg pretty quickly too. They also make a tool called a slam bar that works good. It has a wedge at the end similar shape. Works like a big slide hammer. If u have a welder and some stuff u could probly make one fairly easy.
They ain't toys....
The sawzall and grinder work ok too. Be careful not to muss up the wheel tho.

Found this pic if that helps in fabrication...

That's how Emilo does it here. I just had two rears put on a tractor and he does it right there in the field. I pulled under a big oak tree and he slaps his air jacks under it and goes to town. He leaves the wheels on and breaks the tires to the outside and goes back on with the new ones. He did both in less than an hour and charged $200 for the travel, labor, and sealant.

I have seen that tool, looks similar to a mattock we use for digging just woth hammer head on one side.

I wont be swinging anything toward my leg 😀

Hitting the rim is prob a concern, I aint that good at swinging things to hit a dot......

And it has to be done this am before rain, everyone been whinging at me for a few days and too much work carrying food around....more than the tyre.....I cant carry enough or fast enough...

On another note.....

It usually will only get to 30f here at night, or sometimes 20......it seems plain water was in use before.....not wanting to mix or buy anything, do you feel plain water ok in those temps...or do you risk damaging a tyre....

The water troughs only ever get say may 1 inch freeze on top, under is alway liquid and they are out in the elements.....so should never freeze solid behing the rubber I would think ?

Silver said:
Is the tractor stuck? Since the tire is already ruined I would consider driving it the 50m or so to better ground. The rim is already dirty. Assuming the ground isn't boulder strewn.

No, it is not, and not rocky....is prob 100m drive and most is ashphalt and concrete....I was concerned about the rim.

I may clean it in place and drive it, can carry new tyre and tools then.....and maybe the bead will break itself 😀

Def easier to work on and have air.....

callmefence said:
Aaron said:
If tire is junk, cut it off with a reciprocating saw.

This along with a grinder and cutting wheel to cut the beads.

I wont cut this one off, will use it to practice with the wedge jtrent has used as I will have some others to do later...

Thanks guys for your thoughts.....

greggy said:
callmefence said:
Aaron said:
If tire is junk, cut it off with a reciprocating saw.

This along with a grinder and cutting wheel to cut the beads.

I wont cut this one off, will use it to practice with the wedge jtrent has used as I will have some others to do later...

Thanks guys for your thoughts.....

Try not to chip a tooth

Did that kind of thing full time for over 20 years
Easiest way to break the inside bead is with a handy man jack
Place the bottom Of the jack against the bead as close to the rim as you can
Place the moving part you jack on the 3 point hitch arm but Mack sure you place on the inside of the adjustment arm of the 3 point hitch so if the jack slips it won't hit you
And then just jack away

On the tractor is my preferred method by far . Could to them i n less then 1/2 the time .and tnat doesnt include the time to remove and replace it from tractor
The old school bottle jacks will work as well. Place the bottom of the bottle jack against the bead and the other side against the tractor frame. Most newer bottle jack wont work because they will not jack one their side. If you use either one Dont use lube of any kind on the tire near the jack this only makes the jacks slip

Latest posts