JL Trent. FS250. cant get the muffler off

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
FS 250 Stihl, about 13-14 years old. It's been run hard and long with most of the time having a brush blade on it and I think the exh port may be partially plugged. The spark arrester was about 60% plugged. I'm trying to get the muffler off and it won't come loose. Got the 2 bolts out easy enough and the muffler will rotate back and forth but won't come out. Is there a trick to it?

No matter. After tearing the carb down (for the 3rd time and not finding anything wrong) I put it all back together, it started for about 3 seconds and promptly fouled the plug with fuel again. I took it, the new/never installed pole saw attachment, all the extra string spools, tools, the brush blades and their adapter, along with that man killer manual edger and a full can of old gas that was here when we bought the place out to the curb, put a card board "FREE!" sign on and 10 minutes later, some Chines/Korean guy stopped and loaded it all up. Good riddance tho the weedwhacker and brush blade have served me well for 14 years..

Went down and bought an eGo electric combo 56V weedeater and quick change edger that came with the same battery and charger my lawnmower does. Only thing I own with a pull rope now is my MS290 farmboss chainsaw. I'm keepin it as close qtrs defense for when (not if) the zombies come.

Looks like the info provided is a little late. They have three bolts in the muffler instead of two and that is why the spinning and still attached. On the flooding the needle in the carb is sticking and needs a new kit or the plug/coil is not making good fire can be the case. I wish I could have been there.
CekbG8Y.jpg

Last edited:
oh well. I never saw that other (bottom) bolt. Shoulda cleaned it up better I guess. To be honest, those bike handlebars got in the way sometimes here in subdivision land but it was so much better balanced than the electric job. That 56v battery is pretty heavy and for my 73 yr old self, probably will need a shoulder strap.
Definitely not made for someone with long arms, as my right arm holding the part with the trigger, my elbow stays pushed up against the battery pack. It's just..'uncomfortable'. Works great tho, especially the edeger. No more dirt and grass chunked all over the place or into the cement pond to pizz off my wife.

No matter. After tearing the carb down (for the 3rd time and not finding anything wrong) I put it all back together, it started for about 3 seconds and promptly fouled the plug with fuel again. I took it, the new/never installed pole saw attachment, all the extra string spools, tools, the brush blades and their adapter, along with that man killer manual edger and a full can of old gas that was here when we bought the place out to the curb, put a card board "FREE!" sign on and 10 minutes later, some Chines/Korean guy stopped and loaded it all up. Good riddance tho the weedwhacker and brush blade have served me well for 14 years..

Went down and bought an eGo electric combo 56V weedeater and quick change edger that came with the same battery and charger my lawnmower does. Only thing I own with a pull rope now is my MS290 farmboss chainsaw. I'm keepin it as close qtrs defense for when (not if) the zombies come.

I have an Ego weedeater (powerload and line iq) and a leaf blower and they have been very good. I have a stihl 111 for heavier duty stuff but for around the house and whatnot i grab the Ego.

Way to go GB.

Ken

Ego is 'ok'. I watched a couple at the same retail place I bought my stuff, pondering buying one of their zero turns (I think it takes 6 of the same 56v batteries) $5800 USD was the price. They declined.
I may later buy a little tiller attachment for my Ego powerhead. I hope never to have to purchase their snow thrower option tho.

(the string that came on the e weedeater is pretty stiff but serrated and breaks often in heavy growth. Since it will accept up to .095 line, I'll try to reload it with the Stihl .095 line I kept. i've never found any line as good as Stihl line)

Latest posts