Stump Jumper Keeps coming loose

Help Support CattleToday:

I would toss the regular washer and put a Nordlock washer instead. Replace pin with bolt. If it goes again, weld it all up until she blows up because the bigger parts are likely worth more than the machine.

Bright Raven said:
Bushhog 296 Single Spindle Rotary Cutter. Single stump jumper with the usual two blades. The stump jumper is attached to the splines of the gearbox shaft with a washer and castle nut. There is a cotter key through the turrets of the castle nut.

The nut keeps coming loose and shears the cotter key. I have had the stump jumper drop off twice. It is not fun putting it back on. I just checked it after mowing this morning and it is loose again. What is a solution short of welding the dang thing on?

did you try putting 2 bolts and a lock washer somehow on it.

greybeard said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
I told you a week ago you couldn't fix that.
I've fixed more than one including the 6' Modern I have and several that came in to the Kubota dealership I worked for...there were also some that couldn't be fixed short of parts replacement , depending how long they ran with the nut loose, how many times it happened and how bad the splines were worn.
We had one, covered by Rhino warranty even tho it was out of warranty because it was bad metallurgy..they did a bad heat treat when they built the shaft for the gearbox.

I'm not saying IT could not be fixed GB, I'm saying HE could not fix it.

order this kit and put on the shaft after a good cleaning of the shaft and the inside hub of the stump jumper and bolt it up and let it cure and it should last a while. There are a lot of you tube videos showing its use.

https://www.amazon.com/Devcon-10760-Gray-Titanium-Putty/dp/B00065TM08/ref=asc_df_B00065TM08/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583657821633580&psc=1

This has nothing to do with BR's problem, but I want to say that last year when I was having a problem with a large PTO shaft, hurleyjd's answer was the one that finally solved my problem, and I failed to say thank you.

So, if you will allow me to highjack the thread, thank you hurleyjd!

Thanks for all the comments, except that pesky penguin.

I think I am going to fit another washer on. Get it real tight. Then put the bolt through. They way it has no play. To loosen, it has to shear the bolt. The splines on the shaft are still perfect. The splines in the hub of the stump jumper are worn but still good..

Had the same problem on my 3615 BushHog flexwing. The center stump jumper was loose every time I checked it no matter how tight I had gotten the nut the time before. A new stump jumper finally fixed it. They are pricey but not near as pricey as a new stump jumper and a new gearbox spindle.

I had to replace the center stump jumper on the JD hx20. 1100$ if I remember correctly. I've welded them up several times, but this one finally cracked completely in half. I guess they are not made to grind up trees

wbvs58 said:
ClodHopper37869 said:
On my BushHog the torque specs are 450 Ft Lbs! Thats tighter than Good & Tight! LOL

45 lbs on the end of a 10' pipe.

Ken

I was able to get another washer on the shaft. I used a pipe that was four feet long but I put more that 45 pounds of force on it. It has to shear a quarter inch Grade 8 hex bolt to loosen. If this don't work, I will weld it.

Latest posts