Looks like pinkeye's back . . .

Help Support CattleToday:

I went through several bottles of la200 last summer treating calves. Total waste of money. So this spring, I broke down and bought a bottle of Excede to have on hand. I had 2 cases early in June. Both were completely healed within 10 days after treating with excede. I highly recommend excede for rapid recovery.

Yeah, it was the tetradure that didn't seem to work last year (300 mg LA 200). May have to look into excede. Gonna run everyone through the chute tomorrow. So far looks like two calves and a cow.

TexasBred":1oc965fu said:
Suzie Q":1oc965fu said:
I would say there is a huge difference between a saline solution and salt.

Remember the saying about rubbing salt into someones wounds. It is a form of torture.

Do nothing and most cases will come good as well from what I have read on this forum in the past.

Balony....many lose sight in the affected eye.

We missed a heifer in 2007, she had to have her eye poked out.. I felt so sorry for her!! She's a pet and a "seeing eye" cow to the blind heifer lol
Valerie

Aaahhhh the beefmaster... all the black angus around us have eye patches for summer... our gals and guys keep grazing in the sun...

...gotta love the disease resistance that a little brahman influence can bring ya' - We do! 8)

Valerie in that post I said what I had read on this forum, not what I myself do.

We get a cream that we can put in the animals eye. For a couple of days I think, however since we put on the insecticidal ear tags. TOUCHWOOD, we have not had a case of pink eye.

DavisBeefmasters":1vcrmfi7 said:
Aaahhhh the beefmaster... all the black angus around us have eye patches for summer... our gals and guys keep grazing in the sun...

...gotta love the disease resistance that a little brahman influence can bring ya' - We do! 8)
Don't crow to loud yet....it is contagious and beefmasters are not immune. Only less suceptible. ;-)

Most cases of true pinkeye are caused by the bacterium Moraxella bovis, but in the past couple of years, we've been isolating more and more M. ovis from affected cattle, and I've been seeing reports from some areas of a 'new strain'(not really all that new, but relatively uncommon until recently) - Moraxella bovoculi - with high percentages of this new strain exhibiting resistance to tetracyclines.
So...those cases that haven't responded to LA-200/LA-300/Tetradure, etc., may, in fact, have M. bovoculi infection instead of, or in addition to infection with the other two more common species, Moraxella bovis and Moraxella ovis.

Lucky_P":1wuuto1f said:
Most cases of true pinkeye are caused by the bacterium Moraxella bovis, but in the past couple of years, we've been isolating more and more M. ovis from affected cattle, and I've been seeing reports from some areas of a 'new strain'(not really all that new, but relatively uncommon until recently) - Moraxella bovoculi - with high percentages of this new strain exhibiting resistance to tetracyclines.
So...those cases that haven't responded to LA-200/LA-300/Tetradure, etc., may, in fact, have M. bovoculi infection instead of, or in addition to infection with the other two more common species, Moraxella bovis and Moraxella ovis.

Ran one through for her third slug of LA200 it seemed to work fine on another couple I had. What is being recommended for the M bovoculi?

I sometimes wonder if the oldtimers who put salt in the animals eye did so, not realizing the iodine in the salt is probably what cured the pinkeye.

I can only tell you from my experience. Go get you a bag of iodine from the feed store and add it to your minerals. I add one to two lbs to a 50 lb bag minerals. You can also add one pound iodine to a 100 gal water tub and do that about once a week. Of course that is not the pharmaceutical recommendation because they can't patent iodine. But it works.

Lucky_P":3sibkeeo said:
==================
Dr.,

So it is probable that multiple strains co-exist in a herd of say...80 animals?

I have heard it said several times that different strains exists within a herd based on age and conditions. Is that reasonable?

Would it be smart management to culture the pink eye and then treat as indicated?

MoGal":5dw12owe said:
I sometimes wonder if the oldtimers who put salt in the animals eye did so, not realizing the iodine in the salt is probably what cured the pinkeye.

I can only tell you from my experience. Go get you a bag of iodine from the feed store and add it to your minerals. I add one to two lbs to a 50 lb bag minerals. You can also add one pound iodine to a 100 gal water tub and do that about once a week. Of course that is not the pharmaceutical recommendation because they can't patent iodine. But it works.
Don't know if it helps or not but they're certainly getting a hel of a dose of it...recommended levels are in parts per million.

MF135":3evcl4n8 said:
I went through several bottles of la200 last summer treating calves. Total waste of money. So this spring, I broke down and bought a bottle of Excede to have on hand. I had 2 cases early in June. Both were completely healed within 10 days after treating with excede. I highly recommend excede for rapid recovery.

Iodine is good. Half a pound per 50# mineral is enough for foot and eye protection.
Vaccination benefit is spotty, but it is free with some 7 ways...
Blue jeans patches do work, and I believe in Excede also.
No reason for cattle to suffer.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":vx92hin0 said:
TB - my hubby has always recommending adding iodine in the mineral mix for footrot & pinkeye control. But, we have it mixed in by the company, so I couldn't tell you how much per bag.
Your hubby is right on the footrot part. But he'll also tell you that you put it in there in ppm (parts per million) and it doesn't take much to reach that level if you're using a concentrated EDDI. Literally grams per ton of mineral and it should be balanced with selenium concentration in the mineral.

I have been adding iodine to mineral the past couple years at 1 pound per 100 pounds mineral. Are you saying I should also be adding selenium? Would it be at the same rate?

ChrisB":1el2qnxe said:
I have been adding iodine to mineral the past couple years at 1 pound per 100 pounds mineral. Are you saying I should also be adding selenium? Would it be at the same rate?

I add 2 pounds of selium per 100# mixing salt

ChrisB":28nbymxv said:
What is the concentration of the Iodine you're adding to the feed? It comes in several strengths.Same for selenium.

What I am adding is: Organic Iodine 40 - the guaranteed analysis is 9.2% ethylenediamine diydriodide.

The tag says to mix at 1 pound per 1000 pounds of mineral - but I read somewhere to mix at a rate of 1 to 1-1/2 pounds per 100. Now you have me questioning what I am doing; what would you advise?

By the way, it did seem to take care of my hoofrot problems which is why I started adding iodine in the first place. But of course that could be because of enviromental factors too.

TB - I totally understant that it is PPM
I would be extremely careful about mixing ingredients yourself - especially SE. How are you mixing to make sure PPM are dispursed throughout the mix evenly?? Selenium is reported as being toxic if overdosed.
We feed over 3 times the gov't recommended dose of SE, but, that was slowly increased with blood testing to determine the level in our cows. But, I would NEVER recommend anyone else to feed that much & would be very leary of adding that by hand.

Latest posts