Looking for ideas to remedy soggy area.

Help Support CattleToday:

kucala5

Reaction score
Any ideas to help the areas around the barn that doesn't drain well? We have an overhang on both sides that gets run off and at the rear of the barn the tractor traffic keeps it really messy in wet weather. The cattle have full access to these areas and like the cool mud, adding to the mess.

kucala5":h14kqr5y said:
Any ideas to help the areas around the barn that doesn't drain well? We have an overhang on both sides that gets run off and at the rear of the barn the tractor traffic keeps it really messy in wet weather. The cattle have full access to these areas and like the cool mud, adding to the mess.

Your question cannot be accurately answered without pictures and grade around the buildings.

However, you can move the water. Eaves troughs into downspouts into tiles or culverts makes a difference - we do this on the big shop at home - it even works on buildings several hundred feet long. I bet yours - like ours - is smaller.

Gravel and other types of fill simply delay the problem for a couple of years.

Pretty simple - you already know what the problem is - and now you have a solution - move the water - it costs and is worth it.

Bez__

On high traffic woods roads I have found if you lay geofabric down then cover in gravel it will hold up very well and keep the rock from being pushed in the ground. Tried this for the first time about 18 years ago and it is still holding up nicely.

Jogeephus":29hnwm8u said:
On high traffic woods roads I have found if you lay geofabric down then cover in gravel it will hold up very well and keep the rock from being pushed in the ground. Tried this for the first time about 18 years ago and it is still holding up nicely.

Same thing I put down when I install new gravel driveways keeps grass out of it pretty well too

I would scrape it down/level it off, and dig a 2-3' deep trench with a excavator and throw in a perforated tile. Fill in with coarse gravel. Take the tile to somewhere it can drain. This is my plan when I build my new corral this summer.

Latest posts