Looking for a Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

TennesseeTuxedo":1avl9yt3 said:
inyati13":1avl9yt3 said:
Thanks to everyone. I ask Kris what she thought of me getting a Hereford. Maybe she can provide her thoughts. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Horned or polled?
Is there something wrong with discussing horned and polled hereford cattle that i am not aware of?

denvermartinfarms":3kb1gvaj said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3kb1gvaj said:
Horned or polled?
Is there something wrong with discussing horned and polled hereford cattle that i am not aware of?
I'll throw another on in for fun, black or red hereford.....lol

denvermartinfarms":8bt27vpe said:
TennesseeTuxedo":8bt27vpe said:
inyati13":8bt27vpe said:
Thanks to everyone. I ask Kris what she thought of me getting a Hereford. Maybe she can provide her thoughts. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Horned or polled?

You'd have to ask JWB, DMF.

Personally I like a horned Hereford bull on some black Angus cows but wouldn't want a pasture full of horned Hereford cows.

I really don't understand these comments or how and who they are pointed. Don't know what " the petty bs " comment was about at all. So I'll explain myself.

I like horned hereford bulls better than polled. Not saying there's not good polled bulls, I just find more that I like are horned.

Personally I would like a field of all horned hereford cows, i like them better than about anything. But they are not easy to find. I have more polled hereford cows than horned. Like I said Both are some of my favorite cows, I just prefer horned.

With that said, don't act like there's not a difference in horned and polled. If you believe there's not relevant differences then you need to learn more about horned and polled hereford cattle.

I need to be careful on this Hereford idea. I have a treasure in my friend Kris (Fire Sweep Simmental Ranch). I got to show some respect. :lol:

I have pondered upon the female platonic relationships I have had in my life. Most were women I worked with. These relationships were precious to me. One thing about these relationships: Women provide their counsel as a gift to you. Although Kris has the capacity to appreciate my free will, I hold her counsel with the deepest respect and loyalty.

I may still get me a Hereford. :D

I've really liked the Boyd herefords that I've seen. I'm sure that a bred heifer from them wouldn't be cheap, but you'd really have a nice animal.

denvermartinfarms":1gqfmmms said:
I really don't understand these comments or how and who they are pointed. Don't know what " the petty bs " comment was about at all. So I'll explain myself.

I like horned hereford bulls better than polled. Not saying there's not good polled bulls, I just find more that I like are horned.

Personally I would like a field of all horned hereford cows, i like them better than about anything. But they are not easy to find. I have more polled hereford cows than horned. Like I said Both are some of my favorite cows, I just prefer horned.

With that said, don't act like there's not a difference in horned and polled. If you believe there's not relevant differences then you need to learn more about horned and polled hereford cattle.

Denver, I would have a couple good suggestions for you, but since you are in Fescue (I think) you would really have to want it to work and take certain precautions to acclimate them.

Ryan

inyati13":2x22ivd5 said:
I need to be careful on this Hereford idea. I have a treasure in my friend Kris (Fire Sweep Simmental Ranch). I got to show some respect. :lol:

I have pondered upon the female platonic relationships I have had in my life. Most were women I worked with. These relationships were precious to me. One thing about these relationships: Women provide their counsel as a gift to you. Although Kris has the capacity to appreciate my free will, I hold her counsel with the deepest respect and loyalty.

I may still get me a Hereford. :D

Oh brother, thank God I don't have anyone looking over my shoulder while I write my own checks........its just a cow for pete's sake

I did not know when you own black crosses you have to sign your soul over. :)

AllForage":32ffl0ie said:
denvermartinfarms":32ffl0ie said:

Denver, I would have a couple good suggestions for you, but since you are in Fescue (I think) you would really have to want it to work and take certain precautions to acclimate them.

Ryan
What would those be sir?

If you get a Herf cow Ron, I'd suggest polled or dehorned, and that's just because the rest of your cows are polled and horned cows need other horned cows to keep them humble.. One horned cow is going to be a tyrannous boss cow... That's what we've found when we only had 1 or 2 horned cows in the herd.

Nesikep":1llnaylj said:
If you get a Herf cow Ron, I'd suggest polled or dehorned, and that's just because the rest of your cows are polled and horned cows need other horned cows to keep them humble.. One horned cow is going to be a tyrannous boss cow... That's what we've found when we only had 1 or 2 horned cows in the herd.

Sorry Nesi, but I have mixed horned and polled for a couple years. It really comes down to personality. An alpha cow is a alpha cow whether polled or horned

But yes a bossy cow with horns will learn her advantage. They all get along eventually....

Don't worry I think Ron is just messin with us anyways :)

AllForage":xqkg89mr said:
Nesikep":xqkg89mr said:

Sorry Nesi, but I have mixed horned and polled for a couple years. It really comes down to personality. An alpha cow is a alpha cow whether polled or horned

But yes a bossy cow with horns will learn her advantage. They all get along eventually....

I agree, I have horned cows mixed with polled cows in every herd.

We had a couple horned ones and we had to dehorn them or ship them, it just really didn't work out for us... The ones we had had real cloud-stabbers, and they were big cows too, so you get a Frame 8 at 1700 lbs or so with an attitude to match, it's not very fun. If they have downward curved horns they're a little less menacing too.

HDRider":1ejl28y6 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1ejl28y6 said:
I think he means you DMF.
I will not say what I first thought DMF stood for..
I never thought about what it meant till someone brought it to my attention. now I think it's something the people here that seem to dislike me call me to be disrespectful. I could be wrong though.

denvermartinfarms":p0krnxmz said:
HDRider":p0krnxmz said:
TennesseeTuxedo":p0krnxmz said:
I never thought about what it meant till someone brought it to my attention. now I think it's something the people here that seem to dislike me call me to be disrespectful. I could be wrong though.
Seriously, I think it stand for denvermartimfarms first and lastly. I was just slow on the uptake, and I am somewhat prone to profanity. It is a weakness that I work on, but fail all too often. Be with the starving pygmies in New Guinea.

AllForage":1qy5fbl2 said:
Nesikep":1qy5fbl2 said:

Ha Ha. I would enjoy a Hereford in my herd. They are beautiful cattle. But you are correct, I will probably use my money to buy a PB Simmental.

denvermartinfarms":2kwny4og said:
HDRider":2kwny4og said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2kwny4og said:

Never made the connection Denver, I get called TT more times than not.

Latest posts