Looking for a Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
Wednesday I was approved for the 2015 CAIP Cost Share Program. I am in Robertson County near the Mason County line. Our county approves a sum of $3,500.00. The CAIP board has approved a cost share of 70 % for heifers. Not all projects receive 70%, i.e., the fencing program is 50%. Which means: if I buy a heifer or two heifers for a total sum of $5,000.00 then I will pay $1,500.00 and the CAIP will pay $3,500.00. I have until June. The heifers have to meet state standards which means they must have a minimum pelvic score at 12 months, be vaccinated, etc. In the past when I got this funding, the producer submits a signed statement that the heifer meets those standards. I have not seen or heard of anyone checking so you know what that probably means.

Ryan, never know: I may go buy a great Hereford!!!!!

Well if they are handing out cow welfare you owe it to the great taxpayers of Kentucky to buy the best, a Hereford! :)

In Ron's defense, this program is not funded by the government. It was funded by tobacco companies.

tom4018":23e7bq2g said:
In Ron's defense, this program is not funded by the government. It was funded by tobacco companies.
X2 . many kentucky producers have used that program. cattle quality has improved by leaps and bounds in kentucky because of it. most started with the bull program. been available for about 10 years.. btw a horned hereford heifer would look good on all that grass. :lol2:

tom4018":2k4cp07c said:
I've heard that. TN is the same way I believe, they call it ag enhancement program, or something like that. We don't gave anything like it here.

The CAIP program that Ron is referring to is money from the tobacco settlement. The state elected to give half ( correct me if I'm wrong) of the money to the counties to be used for agriculture enhancement.

I would think that the tobacco money should be used to help the millions of people that are addicted or have been killed using tobacco products. But that's just me.

highgrit":3hc7gi1k said:
I would think that the tobacco money should be used to help the millions of people that are addicted or have been killed using tobacco products. But that's just me.

Well you can do it your way in Georgia, but in Kentucky the purpose is to help transition tobacco growers into other crops or cattle.

December 4th at Bluegrass Lexington bred heifer sale. Most of these will meet the state requirements.

CSM

CSM":1diywuva said:
December 4th at Bluegrass Lexington bred heifer sale. Most of these will meet the state requirements.

CSM

That is what I am advising him, to pick up a good bred heifer. Two for one money!

Right, with horns!

Does somebody send you a check for keeping the petty bs alive?

TennesseeTuxedo":sztvm63z said:
highgrit":sztvm63z said:

Well you can do it your way in Georgia, but in Kentucky the purpose is to help transition tobacco growers into other crops or cattle.
Only a portion of it went back to the farmers, if I remember right some was supposed to go to some health care or research and the greedy government got some.

Latest posts