Longhorn x char vs longhorn x angus

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno said:
This is really simple if LH were that good they would be in every pasture you drove by. Cattle have a daily cost so until you actually know yours it's all just a guess and most likely welfare cattle.

You don't see longhorns in every pasture due to the dock at the sale barn. The dock at the sale barn is due to poor feed conversion. If you're not going to finish them and butcher them yourself longhorn is definitely not the way to go, I'm not arguing that what so ever. I'd never consider trying to finish pure longhorns either. But you also don't see many spotted cattle of any kind including simmental due to the dock at the barn, doesn't mean a spotted simmental won't finish as good as a black one. Next summer I will report real data on the longhorn crosses I'm finishing, believe me if it's not profitable and good quality I will not do it again. I will not own welfare anything, ask anyone that knows me well, if I can't make money doing something I don't do it.

Little Joe said:
Caustic Burno said:
This is really simple if LH were that good they would be in every pasture you drove by. Cattle have a daily cost so until you actually know yours it's all just a guess and most likely welfare cattle.

You don't see longhorns in every pasture due to the dock at the sale barn. The dock at the sale barn is due to poor feed conversion. If you're not going to finish them and butcher them yourself longhorn is definitely not the way to go, I'm not arguing that what so ever. I'd never consider trying to finish pure longhorns either. But you also don't see many spotted cattle of any kind including simmental due to the dock at the barn, doesn't mean a spotted simmental won't finish as good as a black one. Next summer I will report real data on the longhorn crosses I'm finishing, believe me if it's not profitable and good quality I will not do it again. I will not own welfare anything, ask anyone that knows me well, if I can't make money doing something I don't do it.

This is exactly what I'm thinking. No one at the barn wants to buy them because other cows are more economical because of feed conversion. With longhorns being able to calve into their 20s I also wonder if the cost of not having to buy new cows every 10 years will help offset the poor feed conversion.

Have you ever heard of anyone finishing them heavy on fruit? I've done some googling and can't find anything. I have a bunch of apple trees on our property, usually just use them as treats for our horses, but I was thinking of testing 1-2 cows finished heavy on apples or a honey mix. Would either cause any issues with the cows? Too mich sugar? It won't cost me anything and we don't use the apples for anything, but would it cause any issues with the cows?

bckinghorn said:
Little Joe said:
Caustic Burno said:

This is exactly what I'm thinking. No one at the barn wants to buy them because other cows are more economical because of feed conversion. With longhorns being able to calve into their 20s I also wonder if the cost of not having to buy new cows every 10 years will help offset the poor feed conversion.

Have you ever heard of anyone finishing them heavy on fruit? I've done some googling and can't find anything. I have a bunch of apple trees on our property, usually just use them as treats for our horses, but I was thinking of testing 1-2 cows finished heavy on apples or a honey mix. Would either cause any issues with the cows? Too mich sugar? It won't cost me anything and we don't use the apples for anything, but would it cause any issues with the cows?

Brahman cross will live as long or longer and produced a calf that will grade bred back to Angus or Hereford.
Top that off that cross will produce more pounds to mash the scales versus a bunch of hatchet butt calves.

Caustic Burno said:
bckinghorn said:
Little Joe said:

Brahman cross will live as long or longer and produced a calf that will grade bred back to Angus or Hereford.
Top that off that cross will produce more pounds to mash the scales versus a bunch of hatchet butt calves.

So Brahman have all the benefits of longhorns, but produce better graded meet, and larger carcasses, than them when crossed is what your saying?

The only issue there is the lack of horns.

Brahman cattle are naturally horned, they're a nice looking cattle and would make a good conversation piece as well. Maybe get you a few longhorns and a few Brahman and put a good horned Hereford bull on them.

bckinghorn said:
Caustic Burno said:
bckinghorn said:

So Brahman have all the benefits of longhorns, but produce better graded meet, and larger carcasses, than them when crossed is what your saying?

Brahman bull with horns.

Most brahmas are horned. Many have been dehorned for handling. Some are polled.

Note that brahman cattle tend to have higher birth weights. Longhorns tend to be low birth weight. Something to consider if you think about breeding a brahman bull to a longhorn cow.

Brahman crosses are tops for hot humid climates with big insects - Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Mexico, countries near the equator. Maybe not so much for British Columbia. But they are pretty durable. What breeds do you see in your area?

simme said:
bckinghorn said:
Caustic Burno said:

Brahman bull with horns.

Note that brahman cattle tend to have higher birth weights. Longhorns tend to be low birth weight. Something to consider if you think about breeding a brahman bull to a longhorn cow.

Brahman crosses are tops for hot humid climates with big insects - Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Mexico, countries near the equator. Maybe not so much for British Columbia. But they are pretty durable. What breeds do you see in your area?

Love the way a brahman looks. I didn't realize any were naturally polled, always just thought that they had been de-horned.

simme said:
bckinghorn said:
Caustic Burno said:

Brahman bull with horns.

Do Brahman have any birthing issues? I haven't even looked into them tbh, I thought they were more suited to tropical/warmer climates and wouldn't do well here. Are their hides desirable for tanning like longhorns? Sorry if I'm asking questions you aren't sure the answer to.

Basically everything up here is black/red angus and Hereford. There is some highland, but it's few and far between. Also a few belted galloways. Other than that it is pretty sparse. Just a bunch of farmers copying what other farmers seem to be doing trying to steal market share from each other with the same product.

Little Joe said:
Brahman cattle are naturally horned, they're a nice looking cattle and would make a good conversation piece as well. Maybe get you a few longhorns and a few Brahman and put a good horned Hereford bull on them.

Why a Hereford bull, just out of curiosity? I've honestly been looking at getting a longhorn bull, and have been leaning to mating him with 2 pure Longhorn cows and 2 that are half and half angus/LH, then compare the meat qualities/horns and grow my herd from there. I really feel like the health factors of LH meat will be a big selling point here on the west coast, at least where I am. This makes me want to get a LH bull so if I want to I can keep popping Purebred Longhorn calves out.

Would Hereford be preferable to angus to mix with LH for meat production? I want to stay away from Charlais, everything I've read on them makes them sound like they are a nightmare.

bckinghorn said:
Little Joe said:

Why a Hereford bull, just out of curiosity? I've honestly been looking at getting a longhorn bull, and have been leaning to mating him with 2 pure Longhorn cows and 2 that are half and half angus/LH, then compare the meat qualities/horns and grow my herd from there. I really feel like the health factors of LH meat will be a big selling point here on the west coast, at least where I am. This makes me want to get a LH bull so if I want to I can keep popping Purebred Longhorn calves out.

Would Hereford be preferable to angus to mix with LH for meat production? I want to stay away from Charlais, everything I've read on them makes them sound like they are a nightmare.

I can't speak to the intentions of the suggestion to breed the longhorn and Brahman cows to a Hereford bull, but I suspect it was more geared toward crossing Hereford with Brahman as those F1 females are in high demand in some areas. I think that as far as meat production Hereford and Angus either one would improve the carcass yield and quality of the longhorn beef.

Ky hills said:
bckinghorn said:
Little Joe said:

I can't speak to the intentions of the suggestion to breed the longhorn and Brahman cows to a Hereford bull, but I suspect it was more geared toward crossing Hereford with Brahman as those F1 females are in high demand in some areas. I think that as far as meat production Hereford and Angus either one would improve the carcass yield and quality of the longhorn beef.

Ah, ok, thanks. I think I'm looking at crossing 2 speckled park with a LH bull and keeping 2 LH cows for purebreds my first year, and see how each does then go from there.

Now that I kind of have an idea, which do you think would be best to mix with? Speckle park are super good feeders so I'm leaning towards them unless someone has a reason that angus or char would be better.

bckinghorn said:
Ky hills said:
bckinghorn said:

Ah, ok, thanks. I think I'm looking at crossing 2 speckled park with a LH bull and keeping 2 LH cows for purebreds my first year, and see how each does then go from there.

Now that I kind of have an idea, which do you think would be best to mix with? Speckle park are super good feeders so I'm leaning towards them unless someone has a reason that angus or char would be better.

I don't know anything about speckled parks, but by the name a mix of them and longhorn would be colorful. Private sales might be alright but they would be docked significantly at the stockyards.

I suggested hereford so that if you were breeding with brahman cows you could get f1 tiger stripes which are very popular here in the south and are very pleasing to the eye, I said horned hereford because you wanted to have horned cattle. The hereford would add value to your longhorns also. If eye appeal and conversation is what your wanting, you'd definitely have that with this mixture of cattle. I'm not sure about the weather in your area but I'm guessing colder, not sure that the longhorns or brahman either one are best choices for cold weather. I'm sure there are others on the board that know about that. Here in the south f1 tiger stripes, longhorn and brahman thrive in our enviroment.

Little Joe said:
I suggested hereford so that if you were breeding with brahman cows you could get f1 tiger stripes which are very popular here in the south and are very pleasing to the eye, I said horned hereford because you wanted to have horned cattle. The hereford would add value to your longhorns also. If eye appeal and conversation is what your wanting, you'd definitely have that with this mixture of cattle. I'm not sure about the weather in your area but I'm guessing colder, not sure that the longhorns or brahman either one are best choices for cold weather. I'm sure there are others on the board that know about that. Here in the south f1 tiger stripes, longhorn and brahman thrive in our enviroment.

Outside of the south Brahman cattle are worthless. No reason to have them in Canada.

Little Joe said:

Longhorns do extremely well in the cold, it surprised me as well. Brahman would not fair as well however. Thanks for the input :)

Ky hills said:
bckinghorn said:
Ky hills said:

I don't know anything about speckled parks, but by the name a mix of them and longhorn would be colorful. Private sales might be alright but they would be docked significantly at the stockyards.

Yea I'm going all private sale is the plan. Want to sell the hides so, for the most part, the wonkier the better IMO.

bckinghorn said:
Little Joe said:

Longhorns do extremely well in the cold, it surprised me as well. Brahman would not fair as well however. Thanks for the input :)
Brahman spent too many years evolving into what they are "Hot climate animal""slick hide, extra sweat glands ,,insect tolerance,,and so on..they might survive there ,but thrive is another thing altogether.. like running highlander in the Everglades..people's wants, aint alway good for both parties...

Latest posts