Longhorn/Piedmontese calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Here's that hiefer calf at 70 days. Growing good. Just some loose mineral in the tub.
addiearmbroke033.jpg

addiearmbroke030.jpg

Here's a LH/Pied bull calf 50 days old.
addiearmbroke015.jpg

addiearmbroke018.jpg

Nice looking group. When you sell calves at weaning will they go to the local sale barn or will you market directly to consumers? We get docked big around here with any spotting on the hide of our calves so I'm curious as to the route you will take.

I won't sell anything that will get docked (color or horns) through the salebarn. I am small enough I can sell all my calves/culls privately for full market value, this is why colored calves are fine with me. I don't mind horns on my mommas but am trying to dehorn their calves at conception.

Do you think the Pieds compensate for longhorns lack of bone? Theyve clearly put some muscle into the calf.

Massey135":1hnklhd4 said:
Do you think the Pieds compensate for longhorns lack of bone? Theyve clearly put some muscle into the calf.
You'll have to explain what you mean by lack of bone, not sure I understand.

slick4591":34uj5886 said:
Pieds are fine boned animals, so I'm not sure what you're seeing to say they would help with bone.

That's my point- as are longhorns. Imo, a breed that contributes to added muscle AND bone would be of more benefit to a longhorn cross.

what is the Longhorn personality like? what do you like best about them? what do you think of a Longhorn cow with Angus bull? I get to see my cows once or twice a week and low maintenance is the only way to go

I've seen many longhorn cross calves - the best terminal calves were sired by red limosine bulls. Have also seen some half Gert x longhorn cows that appeared to be pretty functional.

Imo, British breeds don't complement the longhorn as well because they generally don't add the needed growth, muscle, or bone that the continentals do.

Massey135":bvduot3k said:
slick4591":bvduot3k said:
Pieds are fine boned animals, so I'm not sure what you're seeing to say they would help with bone.

That's my point- as are longhorns. Imo, a breed that contributes to added muscle AND bone would be of more benefit to a longhorn cross.

Can't say that I agree that more bone is more of a benefit than muscle. Don't know about Longhorn, but even though Pieds are light in the bone category they still have a strong structure. With the extra muscling and lighter bone it looks to me like they pack more product than a heavily boned animal with less muscle. When I can start eating bone my thinking may change, and I do know the general industry doesn't think in those terms.

rnh1":19hsth8a said:
what is the Longhorn personality like? what do you like best about them? what do you think of a Longhorn cow with Angus bull? I get to see my cows once or twice a week and low maintenance is the only way to go

A boney black or black white calf with no rear end either use limi or char bull they will knock the spots off most of the time and add muscel

I like the longhorn x charolais cross. It knocks off most of the spots and the calves are suprisingly stout and sale well.

Nothing is a better mother than a longhorn cow. They'll even be great babysitters for your other calves until they breed back. :tiphat:

farmdog":270jhh7t said:
Nothing is a better mother than a longhorn cow. They'll even be great babysitters for your other calves until they breed back. :tiphat:
That's the Durham in 'em ;-)

Latest posts